Advice required

Mary Hill

Hi guys! New to the forum.
My mum was diagnosed as being pancreatic diabetic in 1996 post complicated surgeries. No treatment required for diabetes, only annual check ups for bloods, eyes and podiatrist.
She was prescribed Creon capsules - 6 per day and been on them ever since.
In the last 2 weeks she's had a terrible time. Chronic pancreatitis flare up in the form of double duct dilation.
She is 68 years of age and now sitting at 4 stone 10llbs. She was 4 stone 8llbs when admitted.

Docs have said she now needs insulin. She is also on Ensure drinks to try get weight on - full of sugar! So readings are high quite often.

Twice this week though her sugars have fallen below 2. This morning, a team of 3 from the diabetic team worked to get her stabilised.

They are also finding it very difficult to inject insulin due to hitting bone because she is so frail.

Is anyone familiar with insulin ports?

I believe she is going to struggle to manage this and as you can imagine, I'm terrified something awful will happen.

She also has COPD, CKD, osteoporosis- she suffered a serious neck of femur fracture in March, high blood pressure and a few other less serious conditions.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Reactions: Kyambala

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Mary, your poor Mum!
You must be beside yourself with worry.

I can't offer you any advice on insulin, ports, or pancreatitis, but what I can do is post here to bump your question back up to the top of the Recent Posts list, in the hope that someone with experience can see it and respond to you.

Best wishes to you and your Mum.

Last edited:

Mary Hill

Oh Mary, your poor Mum!
You must be beside yourself with worry.

I can't offer you any advice on insulin, ports, or pancreatitis, but what I can do is post here to bump your question back up to the top of the Recent Posts list, in the hope that someone with experience can see it and respond to you.

Best wishes to you and your Mum.

Thank you, much appreciated

Reactions: Antje77

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mary

What a difficult situation. I’m not able to advise, but am giving the thread another bump in the hope that someone with relevant experience will spot it and be able to help.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think @Libby3781 has used an insulin port?

So sorry to hear about your mum Mary.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mary,

So sorry to hear about your mum. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

I’ve been on insulin since last June, and I’ve struggled to inject. However, I recently discovered the i-Port advance.

I purchased a test kit of two devices initially (£15). In my case I immediately saw a difference in my blood readings, but more than that injecting now is so much easier for me.

With the i-Port advance, you inject the port into your body, then for 3 days you inject via that. It’s been a godsend in my case, the main downside however, is I currently have to self fund. But, I am trying to exhaust all options regarding this.

The cost of self funding is approximately £79 per month. This mean you get 10 devices, which you change every 3 days.

https://www.hce-uk.com/epages/HCE-U...es/Equipment/Diagnostic_Testing/Iport_Advance

I’ve also used the following device to help with injecting

https://www.tickleflex.com/

If I can be of any help, feel free to message me, and will help if I can .

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys! New to the forum.
My mum was diagnosed as being pancreatic diabetic in 1996 post complicated surgeries. No treatment required for diabetes, only annual check ups for bloods, eyes and podiatrist.
She was prescribed Creon capsules - 6 per day and been on them ever since.
In the last 2 weeks she's had a terrible time. Chronic pancreatitis flare up in the form of double duct dilation.
She is 68 years of age and now sitting at 4 stone 10llbs. She was 4 stone 8llbs when admitted.

Docs have said she now needs insulin. She is also on Ensure drinks to try get weight on - full of sugar! So readings are high quite often.

Twice this week though her sugars have fallen below 2. This morning, a team of 3 from the diabetic team worked to get her stabilised.

They are also finding it very difficult to inject insulin due to hitting bone because she is so frail.

Is anyone familiar with insulin ports?

I believe she is going to struggle to manage this and as you can imagine, I'm terrified something awful will happen.

She also has COPD, CKD, osteoporosis- she suffered a serious neck of femur fracture in March, high blood pressure and a few other less serious conditions.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear of your plight Mary, I have never used a Port but have always injected into my belly as there is plenty of "fat" there and no bones.

But for the benefit of those who do not know what an Insulin Port is I have downloaded the following explaination from Wikipedia:
An insulin port functions as a medication delivery channel directly into the subcutaneous tissue (the tissue layer located just beneath the skin). When applying the injection port, an insertion needle guides a soft cannula (a small, flexible tube) under the skin. Once applied, the insertion needle is removed and only the soft cannula remains below the skin, acting as the gateway into the subcutaneous tissue.

To inject through an insulin port the needle of a syringe or insulin pen is used. It is usually used to deliver insulin through the use of an insulin pump. The needle remains above the surface of the skin, while the medication is immediately delivered through the soft cannula and into the subcutaneous tissue.

I do hope and pray that your Mother will make a fast recovery and that somebody who "has been there" will give you a suitable reply.