Can the side effects of T2 stop or reverse themselves?

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening.
I was diagonsed with T2 on 30th May and my G.P said he thinks that due to the high Hb A1C level I must have been undiagnosed for quite some time. I went to the chiropodist at the weekend and she checked my toes for any signs of damage to the nerves and found that 3 have no sensation in the tips. Can the feeling in the toes return if you put T2 in remission or lose weight?
I have been following a 600 calorie low carb diet for 3 weeks and drink around 3 litres of water a day, but still feel thirsty and also wake up 2 or 3 times in the night to urinate. Will this also stop if my BG gets under control? I feel exhausted at work due to waking up in the night. My Doctor has referred me for a retinopathy check which I am waiting for and hope that will be ok.

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was your hba1c? I have read success stories about people who had tingly feeling or pains from diabetes had gone away once reversed or gained better control, so it is possible to gain feeling back of too much damage hasn’t occurred

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was your hba1c? I have read success stories about people who had tingly feeling or pains from diabetes had gone away once reversed or gained better control, so it is possible to gain feeling back of too much damage hasn’t occurred
It was 80 /9.5

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My HbA1c was 134, I had tingly fingers and toes and cramping and foot ulcers (if this is build up of fluid that requires draining). This has 100% reversed, as has too frequent urination, eye issues, fatigue, high blood pressure, low hdl etc. My method was not something I am advocating, as I was starting from a position of all or nothing.

I ignored the standard advice and walked through the pain and improved my HbA1c to 42 / 41 in 9 months. I have continued to flout the rules with heavy resistance training which has helped with fbg. Resolving the tingly takes a while due to the length these growth at, which is very slow.

Reactions: Bluetit1802
M

Member496333

@Jim Lahey had very bad foot neuropathy when he was diagnosed. He may come along and tell you his story. It is a happy one. :)

Prior to diagnosis I wasn’t really aware. I had some mild numbness in the soles, but had put it down to just thick, dry skin. It was only after reducing my glucose levels that the feeling began to return, and revealed the extent of the damage. Throbbing, burning and stabbing. Particularly at night. If I managed to get to sleep I’d be woken not long later by what felt like electric shocks or someone sticking a knife into the sole of the foot and twisting it. It got steadily worse but I fixed it with a ketogenic anti-inflammatory diet. Now completely cured. I do still have a propensity for dry skin on the bottom of my right foot, but this has also started to return to normal since going carnivore.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening.
I was diagonsed with T2 on 30th May and my G.P said he thinks that due to the high Hb A1C level I must have been undiagnosed for quite some time. I went to the chiropodist at the weekend and she checked my toes for any signs of damage to the nerves and found that 3 have no sensation in the tips. Can the feeling in the toes return if you put T2 in remission or lose weight?
I have been following a 600 calorie low carb diet for 3 weeks and drink around 3 litres of water a day, but still feel thirsty and also wake up 2 or 3 times in the night to urinate. Will this also stop if my BG gets under control? I feel exhausted at work due to waking up in the night. My Doctor has referred me for a retinopathy check which I am waiting for and hope that will be ok.
@Guna108 you may find that 600 calls per day is too low which is partly why you feel exhausted. I tried a 900 cal diet a number of years ago but had to come off it because I felt very ill due to my metabolism going into starvation mode and my body was literally shutting down. Have you considered a low carb, full fat diet which has enabled many members, including myself, to lose weight and reduce their hba1c. Some such as @Goonergal, @Rachox, @bulkbiker and @Jim Lahey are very low carb whilst others, like myself, tend to have more but we’ve all achieved the same result - although if I’m honest I could do with losing a few more pounds!

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Guna108 you may find that 600 calls per day is too low which is partly why you feel exhausted. I tried a 900 cal diet a number of years ago but had to come off it because I felt very ill due to my metabolism going into starvation mode and my body was literally shutting down. Have you considered a low carb, full fat diet which has enabled many members, including myself, to lose weight and reduce their hba1c. Some such as @Goonergal, @Rachox, @bulkbiker and @Jim Lahey are very low carb whilst others, like myself, tend to have more but we’ve all achieved the same result - although if I’m honest I could do with losing a few more pounds!
@Daphne917 Thanks for your reply. I want to go up to 800 cals (like the 8-week Blood Sugar diet) for a bit before going onto a LCHF diet. I don't eat meat, fish or eggs so am not sure how to get the protein I will need as it seems the things I used to eat (dal, beans, quinoa , soya mince , chick peas ) are all high carb. I have looked at the vegetarian/vegan forum on here and got some ideas so may try a vegan keto diet. It is still quite a shift for my mindset to adjust to high fat, but I can see several posters are doing really well on the lchf diet.

Reactions: Daphne917