Diabetes and constipation

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I haven’t been on the forum for a while due to health issues. Last summer I was admitted to hospital for emergency surgery for a twisted bowel and 4 weeks after was re admitted for a bowel obstruction caused by adhesions from 1st surgery, I am now worried about getting constipated and I know type 1 diabetics can suffer with constipation, I try to drink plenty of fluids each day and eat enough fibre. Can someone advise me how to maintain a regular bowel movement, my glucose reading are very up and down at the moment minor sure if that’s to do with approaching menopause age. I have a CGM that has been brilliant with controlling my loss of hypo awareness but cos of having the 2 bowel surgeries I have become so paranoid about becoming constipated. Senakot works brilliantly but can’t obviously use these all the time. Any advise would be appreciated

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two natural approaches for me is to take magnisium citrate, 150 mg in the morning, 300 mg in the evening, regularly. But I started slow to see how my body would respond. I'd suggest taking 150 mg in the evening for a few days, then add 150 mg in the morning for a few days, then increase more if need in the evening first, then morning, etc.

The other is to take vitamin C throughout the day to "bowel tolerance". I use vitamin C (Buffered Sodium Ascorbate Vitamin C Crystalline Powder). A 1/4 teaspoon is 1.25 grams (or 1,250 mg). I worked up to 3 grams a day with no "rumbling tummy", but as I worked my way higher, things began to start moving. ;)

After that I dropped back down to 1,500 to 3,000 mg a day.

If you're using fiber supplements, I'd encourage you to eat vegetables instead. I think fiber is best consumed in it's whole, natural food form. It's good that you're drinking plenty of fluids each day. Hope some of it is water.

Hoping you find what works best for you through trial and error. I have inflammatory bowel disease, and am experiencing a mild flare right now, so am going to try to fast for 3 days to rest the colon. Am also drinking lots of water. It's not fun when we're not well.

Edited to add: EEK! I forgot! Higher doses of vitamin C will cause your glucose meter to read much higher. Because you're a type 1 diabetic, using vitamin C could be very problematic. Don't do it! Apologies!

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rhubarb and artificially sweetened liquorice for example, works for me.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Two natural approaches for me is to take magnisium citrate, 150 mg in the morning, 300 mg in the evening, regularly. But I started slow to see how my body would respond. I'd suggest taking 150 mg in the evening for a few days, then add 150 mg in the morning for a few days, then increase more if need in the evening first, then morning, etc.

The other is to take vitamin C throughout the day to "bowel tolerance". I use vitamin C (Buffered Sodium Ascorbate Vitamin C Crystalline Powder). A 1/4 teaspoon is 1.25 grams (or 1,250 mg). I worked up to 3 grams a day with no "rumbling tummy", but as I worked my way higher, things began to start moving. ;)

After that I dropped back down to 1,500 to 3,000 mg a day.

If you're using fiber supplements, I'd encourage you to eat vegetables instead. I think fiber is best consumed in it's whole, natural food form. It's good that you're drinking plenty of fluids each day. Hope some of it is water.

Hoping you find what works best for you through trial and error. I have inflammatory bowel disease, and am experiencing a mild flare right now, so am going to try to fast for 3 days to rest the colon. Am also drinking lots of water. It's not fun when we're not well.

Edited to add: EEK! I forgot! Higher doses of vitamin C will cause your glucose meter to read much higher. Because you're a type 1 diabetic, using vitamin C could be very problematic. Don't do it! Apologies!

Thank you for your reply, I am mainly drinking water throughout the day with maybe 1-3 cups of tea or coffee, I tried prune juice but my glucose levels went to high to use that as a regular thing, even though it did work, I have used senekot a few times but recently I take 2 tablets in the night before bed and end up with very loose bowel movement the next day so I’m trying just one tablet to see if that would be better but don’t want to use this too often. I am unable to eat fruit with skins on ie apples, pears due to skins are hard to digest and also can’t eat nuts and have read that the skins on fruits contain the most fibre. I do try to eat plenty of Vegetables with my main meals. I know I’m not one to have a bowel movement every day and never have been but after having the bowel resection it’s made me paranoid if I go 2 to 3 days without a bowel movement. I will try what you said and see how that goes. Hope your IBS calms down soon and you feel better.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally try to address issues with food and if that doesn't work, thoughtfully chosen nutritional supplements. Because you've had a resection, I'd check with your gastroenterologist before trying the magnesium citrate. And again, start with a low dosage and work up slowly.

Adhesions scare me. I hope I never have one. Not fun. Hoping you're able to find a solution and are well on your way to experiencing normalcy again soon. :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and again, my suggestion to use vitamin c is not an option for you because it will give you false high readings on your glucose meter. When you find something that works, please let us know. Sounds like you have a backup plan at least. That's good. :)