Terrified about everything!

intoinsulin

Dear everybody,

So sorry I have taken such an age to respond but the closing weeks of term have been chaotic !!!

I really wanted to thank everybody who was so sweet and considerate in responding and offering me such guidance and hope!! I’m so grateful to everyone & so happy that there is such a big warm friendly hug feeling that comes with something a bit nasty ?? If that makes any sense ???

I’m on a train right now so can’t comment fully & give the adequate response that everyone deserves- but I just want to say that things are getting a little easier bit by bit, not least due to all the lovely messages here !!! Sending lots of positive vibes this Monday morning !!! <3 (I’ve over used !s but what can you do haha)

Triscornia

Hey, I am v new to this forum so I hope I'm using this correctly!

I've just turned 17 and was diagnosed a month and a half ago with T1D, and I guess I had been diabetic for quite a while because I was in really bad DKA and had to spend quite some time in hospital, probably at least 2 months if not closer to 3 and a half. It's a massive shock as no one in my immediate family has it, and I've never met anyone with it before.

I'm really trying hard to keep perspective and to remember that it could be so much worse but I'm really really miserable and frightened of absolutely everything! I feel like its swallowing up my life and completely ruining it, because in such a short space of time it has already messed several things up! I feel like such a failure because it feels like I'm always high or low and constantly chasing after this horrible roller-coaster which makes me feel poorly all the time. My family don't understand this disease at all- half of them tell me if I sleep or stop stressing it will resolve itself and get irritated when I'm always testing (they think I'm using it as an excuse to be lazy or over-dramatic), and the other half are acting like it's a death sentence and say really anxiety-spiking things???

I'm really worried about long-term complications, especially since my control feels like its been so bad and I had such awful DKA (my ketones, blood sugar level in A&E which was actually a fasting level, and HbA1c are the absolute worst and highest I have ever seen, I have searched the net desperately for a case of it being worse and haven't found any :( which is super freaky), and I don't know if it's paranoia or genuine because my eyes and feet and hands and joints do feel funny sometimes!!!! I just really don't want to end up blind or with amputated bits or anything like that!

And then I'm also terrified of a severe hypo where I can't help myself because no one around me would know what to do! Esp. at night! I've never been below a 3.2 and really desperately want to keep it that way - is having a severe hypo just an inevitable part of being a diabetic??? And what is the likelihood of dropping dead in the middle of the night randomly despite being this perfectly controlled wonder-diabetic??? I must sound horrible with all these morbid thoughts but I'm just so scared and confused and alone ahhhhh

And what I'm most scared of is the thought that I will just live the rest of my life as a miserable anxious wreck constantly thinking and agonising about blood sugar levels and never being spontaneous - the exact opposite of the person I was before diagnosis.

Sorry for such a moody rant!!! Just am very freaked out :((

Oh your poor little boy I feel for you. My son (15yrs) was diagnosed 4 months ago and we are constantly learning about diabetes type1. It helped us by using the freestyle on the arm as it was easier to monitor than finger pricking. You will understand more and more everyday about Diabetes type 1 and having this forum is a life saver. Even in the middle of the night someone has responded to my help and calmed me down. Please don’t be afraid we are all here for you. You can and you will live a normal healthy life. I know it’s difficult at first and very hard to accept and no one who doesn’t have diabetes understands but we do. We are all here for you. Sending you the biggest hugs.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed