Type 1 Effect of antibiotics

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Long story short...I scalded myself last Wednesday with a just boiled cup of tea. It's quite a large area of my leg and although preliminary outlook seemed good it has now blistered and I have cellulitis for which I have been given antibiotics and antibiotic cream.

I just wondered if I should take any special care regarding my diabetes management.

Thank you all in advance xx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I'm aware bg often goes up together with antibiotics, but that's due to the infection for which you get the antibiotics and not the antibiotics in themselves.

But regardless of the cause (medicin or infection), it's always wise to keep a closer eye on your bg when anything unusual (like a bad burn) is going on in your body.

Hope you'll recover quick without lasting effects!

Reactions: RainbowBrite

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your response. I did think the infection might cause issues. Been very up and down.

I had to pull my car over earlier as I felt unwell and read a 2.8. Last night I was 14.6 for no known reason. This evening up to 19

I will keep a close eye on it x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your response. I did think the infection might cause issues. Been very up and down.

I had to pull my car over earlier as I felt unwell and read a 2.8. Last night I was 14.6 for no known reason. This evening up to 19

I will keep a close eye on it x

RainbowBrite - Are you being monitored by the medics, for dressings or are you dressing your leg yourself?

I imagine, if you have cellulitis you will be having your leg dressed by an HCP. Whichever, please keep a close eye open for signs of infection or worsening of the cellulitis.

I would say not to be afraid of having things checked if you are at all concerned. Things can go wrong quickly if unwatched.

I have no reason to believe you have or may develop sepsis, but with any significant wound, or cellulitis (amongst another gazilliion things), it makes all manner of sense to know the signs. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sepsis/

Good luck with it, and hopefully your healing will be rapid and uneventful.

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I am under medical supervision. The burn was left open originally then covered due to a blister forming. Since the cellulitis diagnoses it had been left uncovered so we can keep an eye on it. Saw my practice nurse yesterday and seeing him again tomorrow xx