Holidays and good

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Because I find eating out so hard I prepared by booking the meals here at premier inn. That way I only had to worry about lunch etc.

So yes I’m stuck here for next two nights.

They aren’t amazing at subbing.
Yesterday when I said no bread with koftas she asked what I wanted instead. No, offering alternatives. Although I guess it’s good they do the subs.

My will power is slipping though.

I’m tired hungry and really fancy chips!!
I will try my best not to.

Sugars quite good at 6.3. Lowest they have been all week.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Did it.

Blooming hard but I didn’t order chips!!

Craving are through the roof but I didn’t order. Did steak and added coleslaw instead

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I find eating out so hard I prepared by booking the meals here at premier inn. That way I only had to worry about lunch etc.

So yes I’m stuck here for next two nights.

They aren’t amazing at subbing.
Yesterday when I said no bread with koftas she asked what I wanted instead. No, offering alternatives. Although I guess it’s good they do the subs.

My will power is slipping though.

I’m tired hungry and really fancy chips!!
I will try my best not to.

Sugars quite good at 6.3. Lowest they have been all week.

Find something somewhere else on the menu and ask for that as the sub. That way you know they have it in the kitchen so it’s not a difficult request. Usually for me it’s veg salad eggs and cheese I get as substitutes.

It sounds like an inexperienced or disinterested waitress but to be fair it’s you asking to swap so relying on you to know and ask for what’s ok for you to have isn’t overly surprising. She’s unlikely to know what will work instead for you. Though I really appreciate it when they do try and offer suggestions.

Did you check the menu before booking the meals? Did you pay ahead? Can you cancel and look elsewhere if all the above suggestions don’t help.

Or are you looking for permission to carb up on holidays? Some do it and jump back on track just fine. Others are derailed for ages and feel rubbish for it. It sounds like you might be in the latter camp sadly for you but if it’s worth it to you that’s a choice you can actively and indulgently make, as opposed to sliding into it in denial and self recrimination.

I turned a corner mentally when I stopped resenting low carb eating and looked at what I can eat not what I can’t. Doesn’t work all the time but it does a lot of it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did it.

Blooming hard but I didn’t order chips!!

Craving are through the roof but I didn’t order. Did steak and added coleslaw instead
Cravings are up from the carbs you have eaten probably. Well done. A glass of red to wash it down would be my reward

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Cravings are up from the carbs you have eaten probably. Well done. A glass of red to wash it down would be my reward

I don’t drink.

Next fight is not to eat the fudge and biscuits I bought for a friend (I can but again tomorrow lol)
Hoping dinner fills me up so much I do t need anything.

Only bought hot choc with me so could have them if desperate

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Ended up having some ice cream as desert. Refused the sauces.

All the meals this week I’ve been stuffed, I’m not hungry now but could eat more but think that’s cravings.

Don’t usually eat this much so it shows how much carbs are screwing with me.

Don’t think I came to splurge on carbs but I also can’t stand buying a meal and not eating most of it like no burger bun and chips.

Seems ridiculous. I understand why people do but I don’t see point in ordering a meal and leaving most of it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that’s why I don’t do bunless burgers and I swap for other items not just leave the carbs on the plate. I take a bar of 85% choc as a dessert if I go places I know I’ll be tempted. Hope you’re enjoying the holiday

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I agree that’s why I don’t do bunless burgers and I swap for other items not just leave the carbs on the plate. I take a bar of 85% choc as a dessert if I go places I know I’ll be tempted. Hope you’re enjoying the holiday

I am thank you.
Had ice cream. Refused the sauce but they added a wafer
I left that.
The ice cream finished me off nicely

Reactions: HSSS

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

Oh and I did bring dark choc but I left it in car and it melted! Ended up throwing it away

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I tend to do it for my health, eyes and toes... but you have to do you I guess...

If it was all the time I agree but does one meal affect things that much?

I’d rather have a meal that I could eat all if even if I sub things rather than leave most of it.

I just don’t get buying a meal and leaving it. That’s a waste of food and money. If I’m not eating burger bun or chips I will have something I can eat

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it was all the time I agree but does one meal affect things that much?

I’d rather have a meal that I could eat all if even if I sub things rather than leave most of it.

I just don’t get buying a meal and leaving it. That’s a waste of food and money. If I’m not eating burger bun or chips I will have something I can eat

Cana - Please don't read this post as a criticism of you and your choices. It is meant as an observation, based on what I have read from you in the past.

In your shoes, one thing that would deflect me from the bread, chips and so on would be the cravings you have identified, and identified aas remaining for a few days in the past. I can't be bothered with the cravings.

Personally, having read a lot, if probably not all of your content, I think you could have a particular issue with bread, but that's just a feeling, rather than anything else.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Cana - Please don't read this post as a criticism of you and your choices. It is meant as an observation, based on what I have read from you in the past.

In your shoes, one thing that would deflect me from the bread, chips and so on would be the cravings you have identified, and identified aas remaining for a few days in the past. I can't be bothered with the cravings.

Personally, having read a lot, if probably not all of your content, I think you could have a particular issue with bread, but that's just a feeling, rather than anything else.

I don’t see it as criticism

When I’m out of the situation I’m great. So when I booked the deal weeks ago I looked at menu saw the swaps and thought great. Get me here when I have to order and my cravings kick in and poof.

Doesn’t matter how long I go without carbs it doesn’t take anything fir them to come back.

It’s not so much bread. Chips. Chips is my killer. Don’t know why but I think it’s because years ago when I was younger if I went out for a meal I’d treat myself and always have chips. Simply because I never had them in the week. Never had sweets or chocolate either. So weekends and going out were when I had that extra something.
Think it’s a mindset I can’t seem to get rid of. It’s oooh, on my hols I can have chips.

So when I was booking it I was certain that I’d keep to my low carb and be happy with it.

Sugars were better last night at 9.9 but not as good as normal and while I felt better this morning I think the swings are doing me in. Headache and just exhausted even though I’m sleeping ok.

Usually I’m with you on the cravings bit. When home I don’t tough things because I know they will play havoc. But here my cravings kicked off just by being on hols. Mostly managed last night (apart from ice cream)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I make ratatouille a lot, no added sugar and the ingredients are low carb. It doesn't affect my BG and I don't have a small portion!

They asked the chef and he said it had sugar and loads of carbs in it

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoy your holiday don't let food spoil it have a few chips it will not harm you permanently. I do not crave most carbs and I have not got a sweet tooth never have had so that does not bother me but I do love chips and can never resist having some when I eat out and I enjoy them so much they are my guilty pleasure. I don't think they will be serving them at The Ritz though but that's another story