freestyle libre glucose test strips - expiry date

Thom89

Hello.

so I have the freestyle libre glucose monitoring system with the 14day sensor.
unfortunately due to a mishap my new sensor fell of after only 1 day.

I live in belgium where the sensors 28(I believe) a year are paid back by healthcare however I'm unable to go pick up some extra this week.
I have a few more test strips( with blood drop) however the expiry date on it says 30/06/2019 (so a good 3 weeks ago)

my experience with test strips past expiry date in the past( aviva, etc) was that they just gave an error message and refused to work.
however I just tried one of those strips and it works.
did a double check with a non expired one and the difference was like minimal( 110 vs 109ml/mol for teh expired)

Was just wondering: if the strips continue to work after expiry date. why is there one on there or will the functionality get worse?
I would like to use those strips for say half a week( as I don't have enough strips before expiry to last the week and can only get my next sensor starting monday next week)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Thom89 Expiry dates are there as a guide from the manufacturers, they expect them to deteriorate over time hence accuracy won't be as effective, however as this is only a month or so I wouldn't worry too much, as long as they are stored in a dry, cool place then personally I would have no issue using them.

Do also trust your intuition though in regards to your levels, we do rely on technology alot but I try to also mentally understand how I am feeling in regards to running high/low.