night cramps

charlieoscar2

Hi ,i have been t2 now for a couple of years and for the past 4 months have been getting painful leg cramps at about 3am.My bloods are not as controlled asshould be-would this have any affect on the cramps?I

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ,i have been t2 now for a couple of years and for the past 4 months have been getting painful leg cramps at about 3am.My bloods are not as controlled asshould be-would this have any affect on the cramps?I
Are you on metformin by any chance? It can cause Vitamin B12 deficiency, and that would result in cramps.... That can be solved easily enough with B12 shots from the doc or supplements from Holland & Barrett's.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, sorry, i see you're new. For better control you could have a read here; https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ and the basic information for newbies is here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

If there's anything we can do, let us know!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @charlieoscar2 and welcome, throughout my life I have been plagued by leg cramps on a random basis, particularly when I first started low-carbing three years ago. Mainly because I cut out nearly all processed foods which often have a highish salt content. I now make sure I add salt to meals (even a pinch in coffee, it doesn't taste ). If I forget to add enough salt, sure enough I get leg cramps during the night.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel your pain!

First thing to do is get your levels under control, you don’t say what type of diabetes you have or what medications you take so I can’t advise there, you need to see your team and tell them as it could be something more sinister than simply cramps.

Edit: I missed the T2 bit in your op, apologies.