Hba1C

jones_48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,
i have to admit that this year i've not been in control of my diabetes (type 1) and in 3 weeks' time i have a diabetic hospital appointment where they will test my hba1c. If i keep an eye on it and maintain good control for the next 3 weeks will i achieve a normal result or will the diabetic team figure out i've not been in control?? :S
Its not that i cant control it, my last results was 7.6, but for some reason some part of me just refuses to inject my novorapid and i therefore only do my levemir at night, and now i'm really worried and dont want anyone to find out.
Thanks in advance x

RussG

The short answer is that the HbA1c will show what your readings have been like over the last three months, but will give more emphasis to the last three weeks. Trying to have really tight control for three weeks will make some difference, but won't completely hide the previous weeks.

Without wanting to judge you (as we've all done similar things!), the longer answer is that I think you should really talk to your healthcare team about why you feel you don't want to take your novorapid. If you don't want to talk to your team, is there someone else you could talk to? It is important that you do take your novorapid as your levemir alone won't do it. I bet you know that, but if something is making you feel like you don't want to take it then I think that is something to look at, rather than hiding it.

You can always talk to people here by posting or by PM. Feel free to PM me if you want to, although you will have to post a couple more times before you're able to PM.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
RussG has said it very well :) Yes the next three weeks will make a difference but please do speak to your team or someone else about what you've been doing and how you are feeling. Your diabetes team should not judge you, they're there to help and I'm sure they've seen many people go through the difficult time you've had recently. An upcoming HbA1c is always a good motivator for keeping tight control, would it help if your clinic appointment was kept shorter between appointments to keep you motivated through this difficult time? Please do speak to someone about how you're feeling.

onlytwintip

Hi,
I have been in the same sort of situations trying to hide my control from my diabetes doctors. I one even sunk my meter in water to break it so that she wouldn't be able to check the memory! Looking back i feel **** stupid because all she wants to do is help you out, not judge!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jones,

I don't think you need reminded that missing your novo injections is unwise and may lead to complications in the future. The hba1c tests covers the previous 8-12 weeks so tighter control over the next 3 weeks would (albeit in a small way) reflect in your next results.

Not long after I was first diagnosed I was chatting to my then consultant about patients doing what you mention, he said that consultants and dsn's were aware that some patients controlled their diabetes more rigorously leading up to a diabetes check-up but it was difficult to tell who they were.

I would speak with your diabetes team and try and address the issues you have with regards to injecting your insulin, there is help there but you do need to ask first and make them aware of your concerns.

Nigel

jonesma10

Thanks for all the replies :)

I'm still feeling pretty ****** about it all but taking my normal injections now :)
All your advice makes sense.. i just don't feel i could talk to anyone about it. The doctor seems a bit patronising and my family/friends just don't understand.
SophiaW - that would probably help as the appointments do make me achieve control, but as i'm currently at uni and away from home i'm not often able to make my normal 3 month appointments!

Turns out the appointment has been cancelled now but don't worry i plan to stay in control!

Thanks again :)