Is Barre REALLY this good for me?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Hi friends! I've been MIA since April, for an extended period of "I just don't have time enough to post and sleep both", overeating of perfectly allowable foods on my VLC WOE, not testing at all, and....becoming addicted to the type of exercise called "barre class". Also, have spent the past several weeks reducing the stress of visiting my mother, late dementia, in her memory care place, by rearranging my visit schedule. So, stronger muscles, markedly less stress, and 4 classes a week of working muscle groups to total exhaustion by means of no-impact light-weight-bearing non-stop exercise for (mostly) 45 minutes.

I just started testing again. Unless my meter went nuts on me while gathering dust, my numbers are way down overall. I don't have tons of data points yet (just started early last week), but estimated HbA1c is US 5.5 (sorry can't find converter), which is US 0.2 below US pre-diabetic of 5.7.

Anybody else (pre- or T2) do barre? Have similar results? With any form of exercise? I am getting better at engaging every single muscle group in every single exercise, so the workouts became significantly more tiring and effective. I don't think I've gained muscle mass, but pre-existing sure has straightened out and flown right, visibly. It's my recollection that muscle use "burns" glucose, or something like that?

I have a primary care appointment next month at which this new physician may ask for blood work. I'm hoping to get a good HbA1C out of that...

Hope everyone is well, and hope I can get back here more regularly!!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @zauberflote,

Great to see you back. And brilliant blood sugar levels to boot. Really well done. Keeping my fingers crossed for your HbA1c test.

Never heard of barre before. What type of exercise is it? Do you enjoy it?

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ziggy_w thanks! Let's see. How to describe a barre class. Warmup (general graceful flailing), planks (full, forearm, side) all while actually working some specific muscle in motion-- usually tiny contractions, pushups, shoulders, triceps, biceps, core core core core and oh did I mention you can spend half the class on your tiptoes with at least one leg just slightly bent, while the other one carries on whatever it's instructed. Stretches/cooldown. Limp dishrag-ness ensues. And yes, I love it! You gain alot of body awareness. My balance, which is pretty badly compromised by vestibular migraine, is improved somewhat simply because the little muscles are more controlled.
You should probably look up "barre class" on Youtube. Then imagine, as your teacher, your favoritest cousin. No drill sergeant here! My teacher is a retired ballerina!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote lovely to see you back! Was thinking of you only the other day.

Great bloods and I’ll be looking up Barre, which sounds pretty hardcore.

Hope you do get back here regularly - we’re missing you on the what have you eaten today thread.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I’d missed you @zauberflote - not done a full barre class but have done some of the moves in vibraplate class and have been bullied into Pretoria be at the barre by ballet crazy daughter. Thighs get the shakes!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, brilliant news! And great to see you back!

Strenuous exercise and muscle building is going to have an impact on insulin resistance - exercise is well known to help.
But the other things you mention (mainly less stress) will be helping too.

Am absolutely delighted it is working well.

(I remember barre work from my ballet classes. Don’t remember it being that strenuous, though. Unless i am remembering with the memories of a young, fit, non perfectionist...? ;) )

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w thanks! Let's see. How to describe a barre class. Warmup (general graceful flailing), planks (full, forearm, side) all while actually working some specific muscle in motion-- usually tiny contractions, pushups, shoulders, triceps, biceps, core core core core and oh did I mention you can spend half the class on your tiptoes with at least one leg just slightly bent, while the other one carries on whatever it's instructed. Stretches/cooldown. Limp dishrag-ness ensues. And yes, I love it! You gain alot of body awareness. My balance, which is pretty badly compromised by vestibular migraine, is improved somewhat simply because the little muscles are more controlled.
You should probably look up "barre class" on Youtube. Then imagine, as your teacher, your favoritest cousin. No drill sergeant here! My teacher is a retired ballerina!

Wow, @zauberflote. Have just seen a barre workout on Youtube. I'm so impressed. (You did ballet -- if I remember correctly.)

Not surprised it does wonders for your blood sugar. You must be working every single muscle in your body extremely hard, soaking up all blood sugars to be found anywhere in your body.

IMO, it is important to love what you do, definitely helps with motivation. I use an elliptical trainer to stay active, not very interesting, but listening to music (or watching a video) while exercising definitely helps.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hey all! Just peeking in again; supposed to Be In Bed!
@Goonergal I don't know about hardcore-- it's not Boot Camp or anything. But wow do you find muscles sore that you never knew you had! But see, I feel that an 11 mile walk is definitely hardcore! And you do that all the time, plus footie!
@Diakat Vibraplate class? Whazzat? Sounds nervewracking!
@Brunneria yes, I'd say that the reduced stress is certainly a huge contributor. And I did know that about muscles, but I wasn't sure it was really THAT major! You are right, a ballet barre is actually nothing like a barre class. Ballet barre is all about getting all warmed up for the center. Barre class is like doing demi pliés on Demi point while holding a small weight in each hand and doing various tricep, shoulder, bicep exercises(don't forget you're still in demi pilé on demi pointe!!) .....for 30 minutes, then doing pushups and planks for 15. Wait. I left out core!
@ziggy_w I have done ballet, and came back to it last January. Sadly, the one class available to me this semester is on the same night as an immovable group obligation. Maybe next semester! Barre is more satisfying though, because at least there is no jumping (shouldn't; bionic hips) or turning (can't; vestibular migraine). And I can't stand unsupported on one leg without toppling. So there goes 50 minutes center-work of a 90 minute ballet class...I'd love to do just the barre though, strengthen my feet and gain precision. And Yes, I have FINALLY worked out gathering all the muscles at once into every barre exercise. Took me since April! And things are very much more tiring that way!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@zauberflote - it’s doing slow conditioning moves on a vibrating platform so you are working harder and trying to balance while doing squats, planks etc. It’s quite amusing.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal
@zauberflote it’s lovely to see you again and with such positive news. I’m going to have to try and find a barre class.
I agree that exercise makes a big difference to bg - I really notice it after periods of inactivity, my levels just creep up.