Whey Protein

JoeJOns

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Can I ask if anyone here uses whey protein powder? and if so, is it a safe choice for diabetics?

Thank you.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I take a whey powder drink after exercise. It does not make my blood sugars spike, and I have to be quite careful as I spike easily. Seek advice if you have any sort of kidney problem or osteoporosis, as whey protein can affect both conditions adversely, and follow the dilution instructions to keep to a safe portion size. If there is a choice between making up with milk or water, I would suggest using water as the lactose in milk may affect your blood glucose levels.

JoeJOns

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JoeJOns if I remember correctly, you have recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.
If you are happy adjusting your insulin dose according to what you eat, type 1 diabetes does not have to restrict what you eat.
If your whey protein includes carbs or you prefer to drink it with milk, that does not have to be an issue.

Bear in mind 90% of people with diabetes (so about 90% of people on this forum) have type 2 diabetes which is a different condition which is treated differently - many people with type 2 diabetes find it much easier to manage their BG if they reduce their carb intake. This approach is reflected in the response above.
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply! Yes I have recently been diagnosed with type 1 after going into DKA. I am 5 foot 11 and weighed 121 pounds when going into hospital. As a man that height I should be between 150 pounds and 180 (To my knowledge). So I was 31 pounds underweight! My goal at the moment is to control my bloods, make sure my ketones don't rise again, and put on some weight! That's why I'm eating quite a bit of food and looking to add more protein and carbs into my diet.

Yes, I've actually seen a lot about low carb diets, low carb meals etc. But I believe if I took this approach I would be having a hypo probably nearly everyday! As my blood sugars haven't gone above 8 since I came home from hospital three weeks ago and regularly are in the 4's.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bearing in mind the 90/10 split you may get more appropriate advice if you update your profile so that it shows you are type 1.

Click on your name top right (in the browser, not sure in the app) and select personal details. Scroll down and choose some the relevant options.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Yes, I've actually seen a lot about low carb diets, low carb meals etc. But I believe if I took this approach I would be having a hypo probably nearly everyday! As my blood sugars haven't gone above 8 since I came home from hospital three weeks ago and regularly are in the 4's.

Hi JoeJOns,

As a Type 2 I hesitate to comment, but I have been educating myself about various different types of Diabetes.

As is the case with Type 2, there a 2 schools of thought on Low Carb for Type 1 Diabetics:
1. It can be used to keep the amount of Insulin you need down low. - But as with higher carb, the medication need to be tailored to match the BG from the diet!
2. Eat whatever you like and take Insulin to keep your BG in check. - However be aware that it isn't just high BG that can damage your body, high Insulin can also do so!

JoeJOns

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi JoeJOns,

As a Type 2 I hesitate to comment, but I have been educating myself about various different types of Diabetes.

As is the case with Type 2, there a 2 schools of thought on Low Carb for Type 1 Diabetics:
1. It can be used to keep the amount of Insulin you need down low. - But as with higher carb, the medication need to be tailored to match the BG from the diet!
2. Eat whatever you like and take Insulin to keep your BG in check. - However be aware that it isn't just high BG that can damage your body, high Insulin can also do so!
Thank you very much for the comment! I understand what you mean about the high insulin levels. Although, as a type 1 diabetic I don't produce any of my own insulin, so would that make it less likely for my insulin levels to be very high? even with the insulin injections.

Thank you.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi JoeJOns,

Again a type 2 cautiously adding: I believe the other reason a type 1 would choose to low carb (and match insulin accordingly) is to keep insulin amounts smaller therefore the potential to misdose and hypo is correspondingly lower.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much for the comment! I understand what you mean about the high insulin levels. Although, as a type 1 diabetic I don't produce any of my own insulin, so would that make it less likely for my insulin levels to be very high? even with the insulin injections.

Thank you.
Again cautiously adding that it is possible for a type 1 to become insulin resistant. High levels of insulin to cover high levels of carbs I am assuming is one potential route towards this. Again I defer to type 1’s knowing better.

Tony1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
JoeJOns. Remember Whey Protein won't add weight but will aid weight loss and muscle repair. I'm Type 2 and have used PHD Whey Protein for a while now and its been fantastic with weight loss and muscle repair after exercise. It also has a low carb and low sugar content. It also helps with regulating your BG levels. If u want to put weight on you need a gain powder
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply! Yes I have recently been diagnosed with type 1 after going into DKA. I am 5 foot 11 and weighed 121 pounds when going into hospital. As a man that height I should be between 150 pounds and 180 (To my knowledge). So I was 31 pounds underweight! My goal at the moment is to control my bloods, make sure my ketones don't rise again, and put on some weight! That's why I'm eating quite a bit of food and looking to add more protein and carbs into my diet.