I've stopped keto because of stomach problems

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys, I have my diabetic check up November 22 blood test etc, so I will report back .
Just feeling so much better , feeling nauseous all the time isn't pleasant so I am glad I have changed my diet . I am even able to walk on an evening again without feeling ill .
As Jim Lahey says Onwards and Upwards :)

Maybe move the mix towards a higher protein content rather than higher carb?

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My wife can't eat any animal fats. The reaction is fairly violent with evacuation of the GIT at both ends. She can eat certain cheeses and is wary of some nuts as they can also effect her. She's an obligate vegetarian.
So I can understand your concerns with too much fat in the diet.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Maybe move the mix towards a higher protein content rather than higher carb?
It is an option if i see numbers rise , but I am getting low numbers right now and feel good and sleeping better . Thanks for the suggestion I will consider it if I see any changes .

Reactions: HSSS

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
My wife can't eat any animal fats. The reaction is fairly violent with evacuation of the GIT at both ends. She can eat certain cheeses and is wary of some nuts as they can also effect her. She's an obligate vegetarian.
So I can understand your concerns with too much fat in the diet.

I feel for her because what I thought was a stomach bug was actually an overload of fat and my husband said he has never seen anyone vomit like i did (sorry that sounds gross) , but since cutting the fat I have felt so well . I hope your wife is okay I know how she feels .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A sudden change to fattier foods can be distressing as your insides are just not setup to deal with it - and some people get the wrong idea and add way too much - their gall bladders must get such a shock...
I am pleased that the changes to your diet are having the desired effect and that the improvements continue.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think "high fat" is often taken too literally - I've always worked on the basis that it's normal full fat and simply high in relation to low/reduced/lite fat variations. All we need to do is to eat enough fattier food to replace the fuel we're no longer getting from eating large quantities of carbs, and not necessarily going overboard stuffing our faces with it.

Robbity

Reactions: Honeyend

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I think "high fat" is often taken too literally - I've always worked on the basis that it's normal full fat and simply high in relation to low/reduced/lite fat variations. All we need to do is to eat enough fattier food to replace the fuel we're no longer getting from eating large quantities of carbs, and not necessarily going overboard stuffing our faces with it.

Robbity
I tried reducing the fat , but i was just nauseous all the time . I still eat bacon and fatty joints of meat but cut the cream out completely still eat butter , seeing how it goes and I've definitely reduced the portion sizes.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried reducing the fat , but i was just nauseous all the time . I still eat bacon and fatty joints of meat but cut the cream out completely still eat butter , seeing how it goes and I've definitely reduced the portion sizes.
There's absolutely no "rule" regarding what you should consume to obtain your fats, so it's definitely not necessary to force yourself to have any type of fats that you don't like - or that don't agree with you. All that's necessary is that you can manage enough fat from any appropriate source to replace those carby deficits.

I personally don't like eggs very much so I'll eat far fewer than many other low carbers do, and most of those that I do eat tend to be used in baking or pastry-less quiche/flan type goodies. And as far as I can remember, I don't believe that any cream ever passed my lips when I was on a strict ketogenic diet for a short time.

A "keto" diet in its basic form is essentially eating few enough carbs to force our bodies into into producing ketones and burning fat as well as carbs as our fuel sources. And I believe there's a sliding carb scale where people achieve this transition to becoming duel fuel fat burning "machines" - regardless of all the current "keto diet" hype. If you compare the main benefits of ketogenic and lower end LCHF ways of eating, both are almost identical, and I think many low carbers are actually achieving the same results without ever being aware that their diet could be considered ketogeinc.

Robbity

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On my journey, I had a period where I had an issue with fat. It was at the time I needed to halt weight loss. Whilst I didn't have vomitting, the other end was,.. erm,...... hyperactive, and showed all the signs of steatorrhea.

I just used that as a signal I needed to tweak a bit, and trried not to have too much fat on a totally empty stomach. For instance, these days, I don't have full fat yoghurt or cream at breakfast. I have semi-skimmed. I am unfussed that that brings a few additional carbs with it, as it all helps to balance out how I feel, and how sociable I am to be around. (Sorry TMI)

Like most things diabetes related, we just have to pick our way through from the absolute ideal, to what works for us.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thank you everyone, I have noticed most definitely my osteoarthritis has got better since cutting out a lot of fat , now I don't know if the fat causes inflammation , but I am sleeping through the night now and no pain in my knees and I can only put it down to cutting down on the fat .

I still have my full cooked breakfast , but usually a high protein lunch and for my evening meal I have a small amount of potato a few carrots but the rest is either chicken or sliced pork and other vegetables, for dessert if i do have some blueberries and nuts with a dash of milk and my numbers two hours after food are now always 6.4 or less . I've been waking to 5.7 and just now after a late meal I am 5.2 . I know these are good numbers for what I am eating and I am very happy right now , I hope it continues .

I also hope this thread helps others who are struggling with lchf .
I appreciate very much the support I've received :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@WackyJacky64 glad you’ve found what works for you. I tend to have full, as opposed to non or low, fat but not too much. I’ve also managed to maintain my hba1c between 36 and 38 on 100 to 130g of carbs per day so it can be done.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
@WackyJacky64 glad you’ve found what works for you. I tend to have full, as opposed to non or low, fat but not too much. I’ve also managed to maintain my hba1c between 36 and 38 on 100 to 130g of carbs per day so it can be done.
Thats encouraged me thank you , I am still getting low numbers and I even had some toast with butter for lunch and two hours later still 6.1 and I am very pleased with the way it is going . I really feel healthier and have my energy back again and walking on the evenings so it is so far agreeing with me .
Thank you :)

Reactions: Daphne917

Garlanor

I have had to stop the keto diet because i was getting pain in mt stomach and feeling nauseous all the time because of the high fat content. I have always been iffy with double cream and for a while i did tolerate the diet, but I noticed since May this year I was feeling nauseous all the time and it ruined my summer as even days out were spoiled by me feeling nauseous .

So a few weeks back I was really ill I had a very heavy cold virus and then I got a stomach bug and was horrendously ill to the point that I collapsed in the bathroom .

I decided the next day that I would drop the keto diet and start on medium carbs and cut out a lot of the fat , I've been doing this for a week now and I have lost 8lbs in weight and the nausea has completely gone , I can honestly say i feel very well once again . I am also seeing the lowest numbers ever upon waking , the numbers were dropping once I came off keto and yesterday and this morning i woke to 5.5 i was really shocked as I have never been that low in the morning .

I am not slating keto because it did bring my Hba1c down from 105 to 59 in just 11 weeks, but i just don't feel well on the diet , so this is what i've done and it seems to be working . I must say i am very surprised by the low blood numbers , but of course I am very happy too :) .
hi, I’ve been doing Keto for a few weeks and lost weight have no heartburn now but have started having a pain in my stomach . I don’t have colic or heartburn but I wonder if it’s caused by too much acid and digestive enzymes. To digest proteins we need an acidic environment as opposed to alkali for carbohydrates. Fats also need an alkaline environment to aid digestion. Maybe by not eating carbs the stomach gets too acidic which could be what the pain is? I have also felt nauseous at times. Also having tea and coffee with food which I sometimes do I think is partly to blame. Have just eaten some whole wheat crackers to see if it helps.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
hi, I’ve been doing Keto for a few weeks and lost weight have no heartburn now but have started having a pain in my stomach . I don’t have colic or heartburn but I wonder if it’s caused by too much acid and digestive enzymes. To digest proteins we need an acidic environment as opposed to alkali for carbohydrates. Fats also need an alkaline environment to aid digestion. Maybe by not eating carbs the stomach gets too acidic which could be what the pain is? I have also felt nauseous at times. Also having tea and coffee with food which I sometimes do I think is partly to blame. Have just eaten some whole wheat crackers to see if it helps.
I was fine for 11 months lost weight and my ac1 dropped, but the nausea was stopping me enjoying life , then i had the most horrendous vomit fit never had anything like it , my hubby said the same . I just thought this is not w
orth feeling like this and so I stopped the keto and started back on low calorie , I lost more weight and the nausea has gone completely , I feel very healthy and my blood sugar is average around six or seven maybe a little higher but it is stable .
Have you tried lemon juice to ease the stomach pain , mine was under my rib cage on the left side .