Boils/lumps

Lindyloo

Can anyone give me some advice please? I have developed a lump which is similar to a blocked hair follicle but larger at the top of the leg just past where it meets the body. I am type 2 diabetic but am being reassed as my Metformin was making me ill - weakness and no strength - so have not been taking anything. I have been monitoring my blood and highest reading in morning before food was 8.2. this morning I have been given antibiotics from the doctor and told if the lump grows or hasn't gone in the next 2 weeks to go back to see her. Am I overreacting - she didn't seem overly concerned - the lump is quite large - but just said if it doesn't go I may need a biopsy or it may have to be lanced. Has anyone had something similar that responded well to penicillin? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

nannybarbara

Hi Lindy,

I used to get those every few years or so. I think that they are blocked hair follicles, and being diabetic, the infection feeds on any excess glucose in the blood. I had one drained (under general anaesthetic - it was the size of a hen's egg) years ago, and I was told to make sure that I didn't use anything scented or harsh. I found that using aqueous cream to wash that area helped a lot.

Antibiotic should clear it up.

Barbara

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lindylou

I had quite a few of these before my diagnosis - horrid things and very painful :| - I had a particularly bad one on my boob that had me a bit worried but after just a couple of days on antibiotics it cleared up quite quickly. since diagnosis and better BS control I no longer get them - my GP said mine may have needed lancing too but like I say a couple of days and it started to shrink considerably - hope your better soon :)

Lindyloo

Thank you very much for the replies - it puts my mind at rest considerably - all sorts of horrible things go through your mind. Hopefully the antibiotics should sort me out - its great to have someone to converse with about it.
Best wishes
Lindyloo

Bardon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi.
I have had similar problems, they just won't go away. I have just had 2 months of antibiotics to clear a lung infection, the doctor said it should clear up the 'boils' it got better but didn't clear them up.
I have tried various antibacterial washes and scrubs, various antiseptic creams and steroid creams, even when my blood sugars are below 5 I still get the problem.
They itch sometimes and they hurt the rest, I often scratch them during the night and wake up with blood spots on the sheets.

Any ideas I am close to my wits end. :cry:

Thanks for any help in advance

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As with so many thinss, GOOD BG control should help
Hana

moonstone

I started using Fucidin antiobiotic cream on mine several times a day and they halved in size overnight (I had two). Been doing that for about a month and they're almost completely gone. I'd had them for months before that. Had them many times in the past and antiobiotic pills never touched them. I usually get waxed since diagnosis, which put an end to them, but on this one occasion I shaved and I regretted it because I got two blocked hair follicles almost immediately. Shaving gives a thicker, sharper end to the regrowing hair. My beautician says, exfoliate regularly and moisturise, because it's the end of the hair irritating the skin which causes the problem, so if you exfloiate to keep the skin unblocked and moisturise to keep it soft and allow the hair to poke through, you've got a better chance of avoiding them. It's unfortunately more likely to develop into an infection in a diabetic.

paula1974

I know this is an old thread but just searched 'boils' and this came up. I too get boils but under my breast so is not due to blocked hair wotsits. i keep having antibiotics and they slowly go and then come back a few weeks later. Have tried everything - creams, keeping area clean etc.

Does anybody know what else to do? would long term anti-b's work?
Ps my bs is now under control