LOW CARBING IN 1916

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, very interesting but bad luck if you didn't like vegetables!!! :lol:
Wonder what happened regarding lack of vitamins in the diet?
Amazing how, in the 'olden days' they appreciated that carbs were so important but now the medical profession don't seem to encourage diabetics to watch carbs! Confusing ...
Thanks for that, Peter

Eilean13

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Intolerance and closed minds
Excellent thanks, will have a good read of it tomorrow. As they say what goes around comes around. Just hope its not glam rock and 70's fashion :lol:

Diane (aka Eilean13)

josie38

My greatnan was a T1 all her life and i remember being told that all she could eat was vegetables and sometimes all she smelt of was cabbage. When she was diagnosed it was about 1920.

J

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't forget to wash the veggetables 3X to get rid of the carbs (and nutrients) !
The trouble with the starvation diet is that it did no more than prolong life. For some children perhaps only weeks to a couple of years, for adults a bit longer. ...we don't know what sort of diabetes older people had from the statistics of the time .
'The Starvation Treatment of Diabetes' from 1916' doesn't tell you what happened to the patients after discharge, they didn't know and said so
It is, of course, too early to say how far reaching and how permanent
the effects of such a diet will be in the severe and in the milder
cases of diabetes.
All of them would have been quite sick when they went into hospital (either with T1 or latter stage T2), They had very high glucose levels.
We do know now, at least we know the figures for the Joslin hospital where the diet originated.
length of time from diagnosis to death Joslin 1914-22
(the Allen Era )
10-19............. 2.7 yrs
20-39 .............4.9yrs
40-59............. 8 yrs
60 and over ......6.4 yrs
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 8-0003.pdf
Yes the diet kept some people alive for a while but it really was starvation.
One of the first children to receive insulin, Elizabeth Hughes was on the diet from 1919-22. Sometimes her diet was kept as little as 400calories a day . By todays standards her glucose levels may still have been relatively high since the diet was adjusted by testing urine. By the time she received insulin
'Almost fifteen years old, she weighed 45lbs (just over 3stone, or 20.5kilos)She had dry skin,brittle hair and "wasted" muscles. "She was scarcely able to walk on account of weakness" Cheating Destiny
: Living with Diabetes James S. Hirsch

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Crikey that makes for sad reading Phoenix, thank heavens that insulin was finally discovered! :(

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My Gran is diabetic. She doesn't eat much. She's not starving - she just doesn't eat much. She's 85 and smokes like a trooper.

Just sayin'.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
My Gran is diabetic. She doesn't eat much. She's not starving - she just doesn't eat much. She's 85 and smokes like a trooper.

Just sayin'.

Sounds like my mother-in-law although she's just 70! :eek:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That generation are just made of tougher stuff. I just hope I've inherited a little of it!

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Patch
That generation are just made of tougher stuff. I just hope I've inherited a little of it!

Patch
(fell off over the weekend - ate a kebab and chips on Sat. night. :oops:

Or just Missing that odd gene :lol:

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
A scary but riveting read..whisky for kids and thrice boiled veggies (ewww!).

Thanks for posting the link.

pianoman

Dr Andrea Eenfeldt shows a book for Diabetics from 1917 in his AHS presentation (at around 26 minutes) which he contrasts later with a recent pamphlet showing that the advice seems to have done an 180 degree turnaround -- in 1917 Diabetics were advised to avoid Sugars and Starches... for example : Flour, Bread, Biscuits, Rice, Macaroni Pasta. But the recent pamphlet advises: Fruit, Rice, Pasta, Potatoes, Bread.

[youtube]FSeSTq-N4U4[/youtube]

The point he makes is that these foods are now advised because they raise the BG slowly (which for many of us is not even true) but why aim to raise the BG at all?