woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hi
I know sugars can go up before the time of the month but is it possible for them to do the opposite. mine seem to be higher in the morning then dropping like a lead ballon.
I feel like I’m having a hypo at 6s. I know it isn’t but I’m really struggling fir energy by lunch time.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I know sugars can go up before the time of the month but is it possible for them to do the opposite. mine seem to be higher in the morning then dropping like a lead ballon.
I feel like I’m having a hypo at 6s. I know it isn’t but I’m really struggling fir energy by lunch time.
In the morning, practically everyone experiences Dawn Phenomenon. It's a dump of glucose by the liver, to get you some energy to start the day. And most people have worse insulin resistance/insensitivity in the morning, which may explain why you see higher numbers in the morning. Still, you've been around here long enough to probably consider all that old news? I never noticed much changes in bloodsugars around my period, but I'm on hormone shots, so that might have something to do with that. If you feel hypo on a 6, what are your bloodsugars usually like? It sounds like a false hypo (feels, sounds, acts like a proper honest-to-god hypo, but technically isn't.), but it would mean your numbers are decidedly higher the rest of the time. With what you're eating, and the meds you were on, (nothing to replace them?) I'd hope you're not seeing extreme numbers... Otherwise, I'd say, ask for a referral to the endo to see whether something else would help. In any case, I hope you'll feel better soon.
Hugs!
Jo

Reactions: ziggy_w

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
In the morning, practically everyone experiences Dawn Phenomenon. It's a dump of glucose by the liver, to get you some energy to start the day. And most people have worse insulin resistance/insensitivity in the morning, which may explain why you see higher numbers in the morning. Still, you've been around here long enough to probably consider all that old news? I never noticed much changes in bloodsugars around my period, but I'm on hormone shots, so that might have something to do with that. If you feel hypo on a 6, what are your bloodsugars usually like? It sounds like a false hypo (feels, sounds, acts like a proper honest-to-god hypo, but technically isn't.), but it would mean your numbers are decidedly higher the rest of the time. With what you're eating, and the meds you were on, (nothing to replace them?) I'd hope you're not seeing extreme numbers... Otherwise, I'd say, ask for a referral to the endo to see whether something else would help. In any case, I hope you'll feel better soon.
Hugs!
Jo
Thanks. I know it’s all false hypo but it feels absolutely awful. Given I’m driving and teaching I can barely concentrate or even talk I’m so tired.
I’m due on new meds next Tuesday so my sugars are higher than normal but they were still quite stable albeit higher. But this week they are at 12 (hadn’t eaten etc) and then within few hours to lunch dropped to 6s so think it’s that sheer drop. But because I’m working I’m needing energy so I have dark chocolate and it’s just a cycle.

I’ve nipped its in bud today by not letting drop like yesterday (didn’t even think I’d testing so don’t know number ) but felt like death but could have been just 5s.

only thing different this week is I’m due on Saturday.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of interest @woollygal remind me if you’ve had cpeptide and gad tests? If you’re still eating very low carb it does seem “odd” as you say. I’m wondering about the option of LADA......maybe something to check before the new meds are started

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Out of interest @woollygal remind me if you’ve had cpeptide and gad tests? If you’re still eating very low carb it does seem “odd” as you say. I’m wondering about the option of LADA......maybe something to check before the new meds are started
Hmm. I haven’t gone stupidly high unless eaten something stupid.

but if it was lada I wouldn’t go lower would I? Wouldn’t I just stay high all the time?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
And isn’t lada type 1? That means I’d have to be on insulin?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m no expert at all on type 1/LADA. My thinking is that is can be erratic particularly in the early stages and if consistent very low carb isn’t working and levels keep rising there is a reason. Are you very insulin resistant? Are you failing to produce enough insulin? Is it your hormones (as a certain aged woman mine are going crazy but don’t seem to mess with bgl)?

I was just wondering out loud rather than diagnosing. It’s just that before I escalated treatment I’d want as many facts as I could ruling out as much as I could to increase the chances of a successful outcome. Insulin is ultimately the treatment for LADA but it’s not always needed in the erratic and early honeymoon stages.

Reactions: jjraak

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I’m no expert at all on type 1/LADA. My thinking is that is can be erratic particularly in the early stages and if consistent very low carb isn’t working and levels keep rising there is a reason. Are you very insulin resistant? Are you failing to produce enough insulin? Is it your hormones (as a certain aged woman mine are going crazy but don’t seem to mess with bgl)?

I was just wondering out loud rather than diagnosing. It’s just that before I escalated treatment I’d want as many facts as I could ruling out as much as I could to increase the chances of a successful outcome. Insulin is ultimately the treatment for LADA but it’s not always needed in the erratic and early honeymoon stages.
I’ll ask her on Tuesday when I go. I’ve had hba1c done as well so I’m assuming that will tell a story if it’s gone up and by how much