Fiasp vs novorapid

skeema89

I take novorapid and I’m completely happy with it. But a friend of mine recently got the fiasp and says he thinks it’s much better, have any of you on here made the switch.? If so ,your thoughts and comments would be great.thanks.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've found it much better, but then sometimes for me the novorapid would seemingly kick in after some 4-5 hours which was not very fast acting. so not very helpful at all - I only found this out after I started using the libre.

Reactions: ChrissiStar

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I’ve recently made the switch from novorapid to fiasp because novorapid took around 30-40 mins to kick it before I could eat, so I end up hypo. In my opinion it is indeed better, with fiasp I wait around 10-15 mins depending on my bg to eat or I don’t wait and inject as I’m eating.

skeema89

I really like the idea of injecting and it almost immediately working as I’ve been on novorapid a few years now and I’ve taken it like 5/10 mins before food, then I would spike an hour later then return to normally after a few hours. After some good advice (take it 30 mins before) the last couple of days doing this I’ve had perfect levels but if fiasp is the way to go to have an almost instant effect I light enquire about it at the gp thanks

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really like the idea of injecting and it almost immediately working as I’ve been on novorapid a few years now and I’ve taken it like 5/10 mins before food, then I would spike an hour later then return to normally after a few hours. After some good advice (take it 30 mins before) the last couple of days doing this I’ve had perfect levels but if fiasp is the way to go to have an almost instant effect I light enquire about it at the gp thanks
Fiasp is quite new, I think it was released in 2017? I think it'd be best to ask your consultant because he or she can change your medication and tell your GP to prescribe it.
With spikes, I spike less on low carb. if it's carbs, I prebolus and wait 5-10 mins with Fiasp.
Some T1s have described it to be too fast acting and have to take it in stages to minimise hypos. What I have experienced is I do drop like a plank on Fiasp if I miscalculate my carbs. When you drop, you drop very quickly.

skeema89

Oh ok. Thanks for the advice. Definitely something to think about I’ll see how I get in with novorapid used the right way haha as it seems to be great so far, can’t believe it’s took so long to ask for advice on it

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh ok. Thanks for the advice. Definitely something to think about I’ll see how I get in with novorapid used the right way haha as it seems to be great so far, can’t believe it’s took so long to ask for advice on it

I changed to FIASP and it made a world of difference to the spikes. Theres been many reports showing that post prandial levels and spikes in glucose have a large affect on hba1c in well controlled diabetics. So minimizing those spikes will definitely help.

For me FIASP works quicker, much better for sandwiches etc (but I still pre-bolus up to 15 mins to minimize peaks). It works super fast in the stomach, but similar to novo in the leg. Although I found it doesn't seem to last as long out of the fridge.

Overall definitely improved my management, almost as much as the libre. Next step is switching basal to a smoother one like tresiba from Lantus, and hopefully further improvement on management.

Twinklemel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was changed to novorapid years ago and was told that I could inject before during or after the meal. Now I have the libre I can see that this doesn't work as it takes ages for the novorapid to work. I was told it worked immediately. I'm currently waiting to see a consultant and was going to ask about changing to Fiasp.

gbswales

Part of your problem is that with libre changes take much longer to register than with finger pricking. I have calculated that my libre readings are nearly two hours behind. I gather it's different for each person so you need a period of measuring finger prick readings against your libre sensor. Once you know the delay it's easier to get closer results. Even finger pricking is not an exact science
I was changed to novorapid years ago and was told that I could inject before during or after the meal. Now I have the libre I can see that this doesn't work as it takes ages for the novorapid to work. I was told it worked immediately. I'm currently waiting to see a consultant and was going to ask about changing to Fiasp.