Hypos at work!

ehaigh780

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone. I'm having a bit of a hard time with a colleague at work at the moment and would really appreciate advice/experiences etc from you!

So I work in a busy clinic environment. It was a particularly busy day at work and over lunch time a this colleague I said I will go and do what was one of our tasks in a minute, I just need to sit down and let my blood sugar's come up.. she ignored me. Another colleague said are you busy? I said sorry I just need a minute to let my sugar's come up. Next thing the sister in charge has been informed and come round, telling me i can't go and do this task, I must go on the earlier break (swapping with the difficult colleague) and send (difficult colleague) to do this task.

So when I come back from my break this colleague is completely ignoring me. I hear she had kicked off, saying what about me what about me I feel low too (she's no diabetic) but said the floor was moving and she was shaking. She said she'd done all the work that morning too.

I'd like to add this colleague also comes and looks for me if I'm 'missing' from the unit more than five minutes incase I have collapsed... Even if I'm just on the toilet!!!

I'd really appreciate thoughts and opinions. Has anyone else experienced difficulty? Thank you

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hypos at work are horrible and I am glad you put yourself first and sorted it out in spite of the colleagues and your supervisor.
I think they simply don't understand what a hypo entails but also that if you are not allowed to manage your chronic condition by taking reasonable time out to test/snack then this may be discriminatory.
Could you explain that the alternative is far more disruptive in a busy clinic.
When this has happened to me (rarely) people have appreciated an explanation as to why I look a bit sweaty/disorientated/unable to string a sentence together etc. and how I can quickly resolve the situation without anyone else's help other than to let me be for a little while.
They sound like drama queens but your supervising sister needs to understand what's happening and nurses do not always get type 1 symptoms.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, sending you a hug! I find that rather rude when a non diabetic mocks about having a hypo. Hypos are very serious and it is an emergency. Unfortunately it is the same kind of environment where I work. I’ve been pushed into doing tasks with a hypo but I’ve built up courage to say “I’ll help you once my blood glucose is up”. They look annoyed but hey what can you do? I do disappear else where to eat and drink in peace then resume back to work. Have you spoken to someone more senior about making some adjustments for you at work?

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She's not going to get the message, so respond to her hysteria with composure.

Politely recite diabetes statistics at her. Something different each time. Tell her how many people die from hypos each year, how many % of people with T1D avoid exercise because of hypos (about 50%), how much T1D increases your risk of depression, etc. etc. Just say something short and then move on.

This means you're not ignoring her, yet refusing to give her the reaction she wants. And it's hard to argue with facts.

Last edited:

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a nightmare that must have been! Stick to your guns, sit down and make sure your bloods are right. If anyone comments on it, gently remind them that if you don't have a 5 minute break with a hypo, there's a higher risk of you collapsing on them and getting rushed to hospital. Then they'll really wish you just took the break!

Sounds like they don't understand the danger of low blood sugar for diabetics, which is pretty concerning to say it's a clinic type workplace! Don't let it get you down, sounds like your colleague is craving some attention she seems to feel she's lacking!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear of your issues with your colleague, that's difficult to deal with.

Diabetes UK have some good advice and support materials too which you can print off and hand to the colleague in question to educate them better:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_u...le living,employer because of their condition.

Sadly i've learnt issues arise out of ignorance so the more you can educate the better informed people are.

bmtest

What a typical work scenario it sums up human nature it you have a wekness they will capitalise on it. If you have diabetes this is a common one I have 40 years at work and I dont mention I am hypo the reason because at recruitment phase I told them I was type 1.

I will take break when it please's me end of experience of human tell you when it falls on deaf ears for me I can operate in hypo conditions it is a learned skill.

When you are hypo down some fuel and you will kick back to life just disguise it and dont blabber or talk in this phase some maybe able to tell by pupils but not many are that intelligent.

I have found myself hypo balanced on chimney tops being confused how to get cemented cowel off or wobbly at traffic like on 250cc 2 stroke it happens and as long as you know it might be prepared its easy.

But the work issues cut deepest it's always a lazy ******* gunning for you and once they have your number they will broadcast it to all and sundry but I like a challenge from these dumb types.

Edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator: