Type 2 14 hour fasting

Lesley56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, has anyone tried fasting for 14 hours and did it reduce weight loss or Hba1c

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, @Lesley56

There are several members who, as far as I am aware, use the intermittent fasting method to control / maintain blood glucose levels. I tend to eat within a narrow window, fasting for approximately 16 hours, and keeping carbs to around 50-60g a day. It does tend to keep blood glucose levels stable, but I have had less success with weight loss. I also have noticed that if my fast isn’t broken soon after waking in the morning my blood glucose levels continue to rise until I eat something. That has meant I have had to shift the eating window to earlier, which means I need to have eaten my last meal by 5pm, and this doesn’t always fit my daily schedule.

An experienced faster is @bulkbiker , who may be able to offer benefit of his experience. Also, if I am not mistaken, @Goonergal.

Dr Jason Fung is the ‘go to’ expert on fasting :-

https://www.dietdoctor.com/authors/dr-jason-fung-m-d

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, has anyone tried fasting for 14 hours and did it reduce weight loss or Hba1c

Hi Lesley
Yes I fast almost everyday eating only in a restricted time window.
Rarely eat before 1 pm and usually stop by 8 pm sometimes only one meal a day (OMAD).
I started this as soon as I was diagnosed along with an ultra low carb diet.
So far down almost 9 stone and HbA1c reduced to very low levels.

Thanks @Pipp for the tag

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am one of those and just call that a regular day. :) It is good practice to give your pancreas and digestive system a rest.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not deliberately fast, but when taking metformin I could only eat twice a day. When I got rid of that I found that my body liked me to eat in the morning - like Pipp my level keeps rising if I don't eat, but then I did not need to eat again until the evening.
I followed that plan for years, but last August on a fearsomly hot day I could not get water when out in the sun for about 4 hours. That seems to have altered me, so I now have almost no appetite and have been sleeping badly - but I hope it will not be permanent. I do now fast for quite long periods, but do not know if it is of any benefit.

Reactions: jpscloud

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Lesley56 and thanks for the tag @Pipp

I have used intermittent fasting to great effect - both for reducing my HbA1c and for weight loss. Typically I eat once or twice a day (more often twice these days), finishing around 6pm and not starting again until 1230 or 1pm so that my fasting period is as long as possible without creating undue hunger.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do intermittent fasting on work days as that not only keeps blood sugars stable, but also makes me feel energetic and more competent - I am a chronic overeater, emotional eater and binge eater, with very poor control of those problems, and fasting is the only intervention that I can sustain. That seems a very small statement to describe what is for me a very big deal!

Fasting continues to help regulate my appetite, control blood sugar levels and help me work without the constant distraction of thinking about obtaining and eating food.

I lost weight but regained some, and am now struggling to lose more, but fasting is at least holding back rapid gain.

Now, if only I could do low carb more successfully!

My fasts are normally 17-20 hours and sometimes 24 hours. I need to work in more extended fasting, aiming for 3 days - hello new year's resolution!

Last edited: