Is a Vegetarian diet really healthier than Omnivore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
However, our government is bringing in a 80% reduction in animal protein availability in the next couple of years, regardless of what happens with fossil fuel use. It's a done deal. We who rely on animal protein, of any type, are going to be in trouble.
Well, we all have work to do then.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mother Nature will solve this problem with all of the volcanic activity around the Pacific Rim, they will all go off together one of these day and you will have another ice age from the dust cloud blocking the Sun which will clean out the planet again.

We are not getting twitchy here, as the countries that Australia export Beef, Sheep and Pork etc will not be going down the path of stupid by banning imports of meat and our coal / gas.
No. I know you aren’t getting twitchy there. I am not either. I don’t believe it is going to happen anyway.

(Indeed eventually there will be another mass extinction).

D

Deleted member 308541

No. I know you aren’t getting twitchy there. I am not either. I don’t believe it is going to happen anyway.
I do not thing the UK can rely on Australia, New Zealand as a preferential food source for food any more as they are no longer considered the "Mother Country" here in Australia.

You have to vote them out of office or not vote for that particular party, if they want to bring in laws that impinge on peoples right of choice.

Reactions: jjraak

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look on the bright side, if there are less farms there will be less tractors on the main roads to get stuck behind when you're in a hurry to get somewhere!
But more lorries shipping imported fruit and veg around the country. More air miles clocking up to deliver the tulips and flowers and avacados from Somewhere to wherever in the world. Fleets of fertilizer trucks needed to support the monoculture agribusinesses. Fossil fuels delivered to make the same fertilisers from coal and oil. Plastic too for the clothing since we will not be able to use animal resources. Biomass lorries galore supplying powerstations needed because wind power is not fully dependable. Of course these will all be driverless, thus depriving many folk out of a job as hauliers and PSV drivers. The future is indeed bright. Animals are such an inconvenience after all.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see ASDA have announced today that they are closing all their meat and fish counters in all their stores and converting them to sushi bars, pizza parlours, and Subway outlets. They also announced a new range of plant based meat products ready prepared and tasting of Quorn, who they have now teamed up with to make under their own brand name. A veggie burger is not just for Xmas. Or January.

Little Bird

But more lorries shipping imported fruit and veg around the country. More air miles clocking up to deliver the tulips and flowers and avacados from Somewhere to wherever in the world. Fleets of fertilizer trucks needed to support the monoculture agribusinesses. Fossil fuels delivered to make the same fertilisers from coal and oil. Plastic too for the clothing since we will not be able to use animal resources. Biomass lorries galore supplying powerstations needed because wind power is not fully dependable. Of course these will all be driverless, thus depriving many folk out of a job as hauliers and PSV drivers. The future is indeed bright. Animals are such an inconvenience after all.
Sorry @Oldvatr i wasn't really talking about environmental impact of tractors on the road i was just having a gripe about them as I got stuck behind one this afternoon. It was nearly 30 minutes before it pulled over and there was a huge queue of cars and I was late!

However I think you are right, importing and haulage does impact the environment.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Listlad Here's a start for you happening right now in The Philippines, this certainly beats cow farts and belches for pollution. :D

https://i.imgur.com/EyliD9h.mp4

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01...losive-eruption-as-volcano-spews-ash/11861640
Does not count as it is not Anthopopscenic i.e. it is a natural thing, not caused by mankind. The COP conferences only consider what Man has done, and what Man has to do to keep GHG rise to less than a specified amount.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I see ASDA have announced today that they are closing all their meat and fish counters in all their stores and converting them to sushi bars, pizza parlours, and Subway outlets. They also announced a new range of plant based meat products ready prepared and tasting of Quorn, who they have now teamed up with to make under their own brand name. A veggie burger is not just for Xmas. Or January.
This is about cost cutting not switching to veggie or vegan - in fact it will encourage more processed food consumption as that has more 'value added, ie profit. They can charge much more for cheaper ingredients.
Tesco closed the deli counters and replaced the counter with prepacked, extra plastic covered cold meat and cheese but kept the hot meat section.
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...asda-supermarket-chain-puts-2832-jobs-at-risk

D

Deleted member 308541

Does not count as it is not Anthopopscenic i.e. it is a natural thing, not caused by mankind. The COP conferences only consider what Man has done, and what Man has to do to keep GHG rise to less than a specified amount.
I will think on that while I chew on my steak sandwich at lunchtime...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It does count but it can of course happen at anytime. Nothing we can do about that but go to Planet B

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will eat Lancashire beef from just down the road.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Folks, I'd ask you refresh yourselves with the OP, topic and location of this thread.
This post was not even a day ago but already 3 pages of mainly off topic replies.
This thread will now be closed.
Environmental or political issues aren't something to discuss in the main forum, which is about diabetes. A little more room for those discussions is in General Chat.

A shame really, to have to close this thread, as the original question may well be of interest from a diabetic point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.