Is a Vegetarian diet really healthier than Omnivore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yet here we are, on the brink of changing a way of life, that may have a multitude of unforseen consequences
Here in lies the problem. In your own words....may have......

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear..
So we blindly change the world, because what may happen, may not, to achieve a goal that has not been proven or seriously debated

Not sure taking THAT chance is in anyone's best interests .

I'd prefer we made the case for the change itself being better., BEFORE we take Unilateral action...

And as I also said. That case has NOT been made... Even among those who I would say, might be MORE Aware of the subject matter then many others.

So while we agree to disagree, plans are still afoot to take that next step into the unknown.

Good help us all.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good enough to delay proposed action til were a bit more sure of the outcomes. After all look how well cutting fats from our diets has worked out!

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fear its the Brexit scenario repeating, but most likely on a smaller scale.

A 'few'... Could be many millions BUT is probably NOT the majority are making the most noise.

And while those most noisy get the attention..( and usually there own way)
If it ever gets put to the test, as in Brexit and the recent election,.. All those post on Facebook opinions and all that noise... Is just noise.

I fear @Oldvatr is more correct then yourself, @therower , with respect.

Their is no one banging 'our' drum in places that do the listening and the deciding.

The head long rush to change our diets world wide, are not allowing for the concerns and anxieties expressed here .

So the banging of some drums is louder, and the decisions, once made 'could' cause irreparable damage to us all.. Now and for future generations.

And to allay any mod concerns.
The subject title applies.

If the premise, IS A VEGETARIAN diet HEALTHIER.
that case has NOT been made.

Yet here we are, on the brink of changing a way of life, that may have a multitude of unforseen consequences.

So I think ..on topic.

I think the drum beating You refer to is about the health of the planet though? Not people?

of course, living in a family of earth scientists, I’m told the damage there is already irreparable.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good enough to delay proposed action til were a bit more sure of the outcomes. After all look how well cutting fats from our diets has worked out!

That assertion never fails to make me giggle. How Nina Teicholtz, in the face of OVERWHELMING evidence to the contrary, keeps a straight face when saying that astounds me. As a journalist she should know: facts matter.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hindsight is wonderfully correct, Foresight is more difficult to come by. Better to be armed with a Plan B than to stumble blindly head-in-clouds like the Fool in the Tarot pack. By discussing nutritional shortages, then steps can be put in place to mitigate any shortfall were the worst to happen.

I notice that no one has challenged my list of deficiencies earlier on the thread. Same as in the other thread where I did at least provide xref to other sources for the info, But here I just listed them. Not a single challenge.

mr_cat

The way its going i can see the average person just being issued boxes of dry kibbles , just add soy milk :yuck:
Things like Huel being the beginning of it all.
Do away with any type of farming whatsoever [well except for our betters who will dine out on the very finest old school food]
and have everything produced in huge factories from synthetic ingredients with a splash of soma to taste.
:mad:

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A quick aside. I saw on the news last night that Extinction Rebellion has been classified as a terrorist organisation by the Met police.
Thats a big aside and surely a topic for a different thread?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hindsight is wonderfully correct, Foresight is more difficult to come by. Better to be armed with a Plan B than to stumble blindly head-in-clouds like the Fool in the Tarot pack. By discussing nutritional shortages, then steps can be put in place to mitigate any shortfall were the worst to happen.

I notice that no one has challenged my list of deficiencies earlier on the thread. Same as in the other thread where I did at least provide xref to other sources for the info, But here I just listed them. Not a single challenge.
I challenge the idea that meat consumption needs to be reduced or rationed. I have in other threads. Problem is it is seen as digression. I still think you are being a bit too twitchy on this topic. Chill out, it may never happen.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the drum beating You refer to is about the health of the planet though? Not people?

of course, living in a family of earth scientists, I’m told the damage there is already irreparable.
Fix the earth first and then the food after, surely.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I challenge the idea that meat consumption needs to be reduced or rationed. I have in other threads. Problem is it is seen as digression. I still think you are being a bit too twitchy on this topic. Chill out, it may never happen.
Trouble is if @Oldvatr is right and everyone waits and see what happens then it’ll be too late to undo it. Maybe it’s unnecessary worry but better than worldwide regret. Blind optimism. I’ll go with healthy sceptism thanks.

Reactions: Oldvatr

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That assertion never fails to make me giggle. How Nina Teicholtz, in the face of OVERWHELMING evidence to the contrary, keeps a straight face when saying that astounds me. As a journalist she should know: facts matter.
blind faith in the status quo makes me weep - not giggle.

Too many facts support the case cutting fats has done so much damage. When there’s such discrepancy it’s hardly overwhelming support of the low fat hypothesis.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
When food preferences permeate into the lives of others without their consent, then think twice about the outcomes and the wisdom of imposing them.

Last edited:

Little Bird

The way its going i can see the average person just being issued boxes of dry kibbles , just add soy milk :yuck:
Things like Huel being the beginning of it all.
Do away with any type of farming whatsoever [well except for our betters who will dine out on the very finest old school food]
and have everything produced in huge factories from synthetic ingredients with a splash of soma to taste.
:mad:
Look on the bright side, if there are less farms there will be less tractors on the main roads to get stuck behind when you're in a hurry to get somewhere!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is if @Oldvatr is right and everyone waits and see what happens then it’ll be too late to undo it. Maybe it’s unnecessary worry but better than worldwide regret. Blind optimism. I’ll go with healthy sceptism thanks.
(You have just put the argument for dealing with climate change).

I don’t think oldvatr is right at all. It is an over preoccupation with meat that doesn’t take into account where the real problem lays and that is with fossil fuels. There is a clear cut explanation for this but it falls outside of the boundary of this forum. I can understand that if one was reliant on meat in their diet that they might get twitchy about what they think might happen, but the preoccupation is diverting the attention away from the real culprit that needs addressing. Reduce the amount of fossil fuels being used and you get to eat meat. Simples.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Mother Nature will solve this problem with all of the volcanic activity around the Pacific Rim, they will all go off together one of these day and you will have another ice age from the dust cloud blocking the Sun which will clean out the planet again.

I can understand that if one was reliant on meat in their diet that they might get twitchy about what they think might happen, but the preoccupation is diverting the attention away from the real culprit that needs addressing. Reduce the amount of fossil fuels being used and you get to eat meat. Simples.
We are not getting twitchy here, as the countries that Australia export Beef, Sheep and Pork etc will not be going down the path of stupid by banning imports of meat and our coal / gas.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don’t think oldvatr is right at all. It is an over preoccupation with meat that doesn’t take into account where the real problem lays and that is with fossil fuels. There is a clear cut explanation for this but it falls outside of the boundary of this forum. I can understand that if one was reliant on meat in their diet that they might get twitchy about what they think might happen, but the preoccupation is diverting the attention away from the real culprit that needs addressing. Reduce the amount of fossil fuels being used and you get to eat meat. Simples.
However, our government is bringing in a 80% reduction in animal protein availability in the next couple of years, regardless of what happens with fossil fuel use. It's a done deal. We who rely on animal protein, of any type, are going to be in trouble.

Little Bird

However, our government is bringing in a 80% reduction in animal protein availability in the next couple of years, regardless of what happens with fossil fuel use. It's a done deal. We who rely on animal protein, of any type, are going to be in trouble.
Is that really true @lucylocket61 ? That's not a sarcastic or leading question in case it sounds like it, I'm genuinely in interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.