Tattoo's

BJL1960

Dislikes
Liverpool fc
I have been told that as a type 2 diabetic, i can't add to the 2 tattoo's i already have.

Is this true ?

And has anyone else been told or heard this ?

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Really? I was planning on getting another one :(

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got loads. Some pre-diagnosis, some post. As long as you take proper care (AND DON'T PICK!!!) you should be fine.

What have you got in mind?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, interesting! I was told a definete NO I wasnt allowed to have one....
So a lovely dear close friend of mine had it done on his arm for me!
Risk of infection and blood poisoning - as I do have history of septis infections, also had open heart surgery too.
So the risk IS potential for me.
Now I grab his arm and admire it.... Instead! Anna.x :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Might be a good idea to check with your gp first as we don't know your full medical history, but if you do proceed make sure you go to a reputable tattooist.

Nigel

goldfish_21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I picked up a leaflet about this at the Diabetic Centre in March. It was something that I hadn't even considered would be affected by diabetes. The main gist of the leaflet was that we need to be more careful due to proneness to infection and slower healing in people with diabetes. I don't think I'm going to let this put me off though. My treat to myself when I get to a sensible weight (2 stone gone, one to go), was always going to be a second tattoo, and I'm pretty sure I'm still going to go ahead with it - if I can pluck up the courage to go into the tattoo shop!!

Vicky

jopar

As with anybody getting a tattoo, check out the tattooist very carefully, not just hygiene wise but also the quaility of workmanship..

You need to inform the tattooist that you are diabetic,

The pain caused by tatooing can cause the blood sugar levels to drop, hence why a lot of non-diabetics feel faint or have the shakes while they are being tattooed..

You aren't allowed to eat or drink in the tattooing area, so bare this is mind you need to arrange regular breaks during the tattoo, so you can check BG, have a snack and also a prearrange signal with the tattooist so they can stop if you feel that you are going hypo..

viv1969

I've certaily been tattooed since diagnosis, and had no complications whatsoever; however as with everything else, everyone is different. I was already very familiar with my tatooist, her work and her hygiene standards, so I wasn't the least bit worried there. With regards to pain, I truly have never found tatooing to be painful. I like the sensation whilst it's being done....Blimey, maybe I'm a wierdo!!

imalittlefishy

I've had T1 for 9 years and got a tattoo 2 years ago...although they say that diabetics should not get tattoos, I think this is along the same lines as the advice that diabetics should not go in saunas or wax their legs. As far as I'm concerned, it's covering themselves, and as long as you don't have any complications that could cause problems, and make sure your tattooist is hygienic (because we're more prone to infection...but tbh that's important even if you're not diabetic) then it should be fine. I never had any problems with the healing of mine. As long as you're careful and there aren't other factors involved, it shouldn't be a problem.
xx

Clairslloyd

Oops, I had a tattoo of taz done about a month ago. Fingers crossed I will have no complications although did take longer to heal than my other 2. Was planning to get another but will check with my doc first :(

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Why do I have the sudden urge to wax my legs in a sauna? :)

The guidelines are there to protect the industry from litigation and to protect those who have major complications.

I was freaked when I was first diagnosed by all the warnings about checking your feet daily (yes, still attached and on the correct side), wearing footwear around the house at all times, wary of minor cuts and bruises etc.

After working out that I still healed just as well as I did pre-diagnosis and stubbing my toe still made my eyes water I consigned this advice to the pit of paranoia where it belongs.

If you heal O.K. then go for it!

Cheers

LGC

Clairslloyd

Thanks LGC. My hubby still wants me to go for a sauna - may take him up on it and take my waxing strips with me :lol: Still epilate my legs and toes - I know wierd. Was told by the podiatrist that I shouldnt do my toes but they are well hairy lol (almost yeti like). Did them anyway and will wait to be told off tee hee :lol:

Rumpo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy people
I got a tattoo 4 weeks before I was diagnosed with T1, I thought at the time I had ink poisoning so I went to the doctors where I was diagnosed. At the time I asked if I could get any more tattoo with having T1 and was told its ok, and a lot of T1 get tattoo's saying they are diabetic. Just to monitor it more and the healing maybe slower.

Although I was told its ok, some Tattoo parlours will not do a tattoo if you are diabetic because they are afraid off complications.