Illeostomy

Polly08

Hi just been diagnosed this week with type 2 and im struggling to find a balance on my diet that doesn't upset my stoma output. White bread, pasta rice helps control my output but obviously doesn't help with diabetes and i also drink isotonic drinks (full of sugar) to help with dehydration. Any advice is greatly received

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Polly08 , and welcome to the forum!
I don't have any experience with an illeostomy, so my thoughts may well be completely useless. But I saw you hadn't had an answer in almost 3 hours so I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway :)

How do you react to well cooked cauliflower or other vegetables? Would it be possible to use it as a substitute for the bread/pasta/rice?

As for the isotonic drinks to help with dehydration, can you find out what is in them (except for water of course) that you need? If you know, it would maybe be possible to find a drink that has the stuff you need but without the sugar, which you obviously don't need. Or maybe you can buy the stuff that you need as supplements and mix with a drink you like?

Again, I'm way of my depth here, so please correct or ignore my suggestions if they are useless!
Good luck!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Polly08

I also know nothing about illeostomy, but wanted to add something on dehydration and electrolytes. I have type 2 and have had a lot of problems with cramps and dehydration, especially when exercising. I discovered this powder, which contains only electrolytes, no sugar. Added to water it helps with dehydration and doesn’t raise my blood sugars. Doesn’t taste horrid either (I was worried about that). https://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/electrolyte-powder.html

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi just been diagnosed this week with type 2 and im struggling to find a balance on my diet that doesn't upset my stoma output. White bread, pasta rice helps control my output but obviously doesn't help with diabetes and i also drink isotonic drinks (full of sugar) to help with dehydration. Any advice is greatly received

Hello Polly08
I’m type 2. I had a illiostomy few years ago and had it reversed.
But it was very difficult to manage as we can’t consume any sugar.
I remember just before leaving hospital my consultant telling me to drink water with sugar salt and squash regularly.
then the diabetic consultant telling me no don’t drink that.
Illiostomy is not like a colonostomy because it let’s waste leave the body a lot sooner so waste is not processed firmly like a poo. Pardon the expression lol.

I used gel pods in the stoma bag as a thickener.
Also gelatin in foods and I ate a lot of jelly. I found it very hard to keep to a diabetic diet.
I went in hospital 4 times with blocked stoma /vomiting and that was terrible.
Please be careful of celery and raw veg.
Good luck ❤️❤️ xx

Edited by moderator for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:

JonB100

Hello Polly08
I’m type 2. I had a illiostomy few years ago and had it reversed.
But it was very difficult to manage as we can’t consume any sugar.
I remember just before leaving hospital my consultant telling me to drink water with sugar salt and squash regularly.
then the diabetic consultant telling me no don’t drink that.
Illiostomy is not like a colonostomy because it let’s waste leave the body a lot sooner so waste is not processed firmly like a poo. Pardon the expression lol.

I used gel pods in the stoma bag as a thickener.
Also gelatin in foods and I ate a lot of jelly. I found it very hard to keep to a diabetic diet.
I went in hospital 4 times with blocked stoma /vomiting and that was terrible.
Please be careful of celery and raw veg.
Good luck ❤️❤️ xx

Edited by moderator for clarity

The small colon, ileum, is largely used to digest food, while the large colon among other functions, removes water from faeces. Hence with an ileostomy you can easily become dehydrated.

Fortunately as time progresses, your body to some extent can adapt to this change and is better able to reabsorb water.

The advice you were given is true in that if you do become dehydrated then just drinking water may make matters worse, as your sodium/ water balance will be effected. That's why you were told to drink salty water. Usually rehydration 'salts' also include some sugar, to make it more palatable.

With an ileostomy the normal healthy diet of roughage and lots of veg, is inappropriate. The large colon needs roughage, but you don't have one!

Other than fruit and veg skins, that are impossible to digest (corn on the cob, mushrooms etc.) you will eventually be able to eat most food. Just always drink a little more water, but not too much.

Good luck. (Three years with a happy-ish ileostomy)