Type1's can you remember???

Fallenstar

Just out of interest, I was talking the other day to a friend of mine who was Diagnosed when he was 15 , I was diagnosed at 20 and we were discussing our Pre-Diabetic days , not just before we were Diagnosed or when we started to get poorly but when we were not, as far as we knew anyway non -diabetic.
We both commented on how as far back as we could remember as children we used to get a lot of Hypo's, this was before insulin treatment . I used to get a lot of lows naturally and had to eat suddenly as I would get the sweats,shaky ,well all the Hypo symptoms really.
He said he also used to have what he called a "bubbly stomach" a lot of the time, and this got better when he was Diabetic :?
I had a very bad stomach but due to Pancreas pain, but I used to get a lot of separate stomach aches.
I just wonder if any of you could think back to things which you thought might have been linked to your Diabetes a long time before you actually had it?

ishjohno

I was diagnosed in 1979, I was 11yrs old and always remember having chronic stomach aches. This went on for months - along with the constant thirst and constantly being hungry :D

The chronic stomach aches led to severe vomiting but still my parents did nothing, the ironic thing about this is that both of them were nurses!! The bubbly stomach description is something that I can akin to, yes mine did go after being diagnosed, I can only think that the insulin cured it lol.

Sarah

Fallenstar

Interesting Sarah :D
I also remember the bubbly stomach aches, it was like a hollow pain and my tummy did bubble, weird !
It is interesting how all three of us had stomach troubles before being diagnosed and they all cleared up once we were fully Diabetic.

moonstone

For a couple of years as a teenager I used to wake up at 4am on the dot and have to drink a whole pint of cold orange juice - it was a compulsion. You couldn't wake me up any other time for love nor money but there I would be, at the fridge, 4am, desperate for juice, and I would only be satisfied once I'd got through the whole bottle. Now of course, I know the blood sugar drops significantly between 3-4am each night.

jopar

I was diagnosed at 25..

Never had any ill-health apart from the normal childhood illness, so nothing I could say was a precursor of diabetes...

tom79

nothing, i was fine till i went to asia, got a bug which lasted about 3 or 4 weeks.

Lost loads of weight then ended up in hospital

Snodger

I used to have hypos as a kid too! was diagnosed aged 19, but up until a year before, would get very bad hypo symptoms before meals - and often during games at school. Never went anywhere without hypo supplies, long before I'd even heard of Type 1. Of course I don't know what my actual bg was.
My mum was the same, and still had hypos up to a few years ago when she had thyroid problems, and the hypos stopped. She isn't diabetic.
Not sure what all this proves but it's interesting anyway.

Fallenstar

Hi Snodger :D
Yes interesting, it makes you wonder if as children we had high blood sugars for a number of years to have of experienced the lows as we did.....I remember those lows as a kid used to make chocolate and sweets even more delicious than they really were, real heightened sensitivity to the taste of chocolate when I had the "shakes" :shock: :lol: Every cloud and all that, eh?!

Ausra

I used to get that uncontrolable rush to eat something while preparing the food. It was odd because i never ate much. I always skipped breakfasts and often my first meal would be late in the afternoon/evening. Even when i went to school. It would be like this always when i had to leave home i could never eat. My mind would be focused on ten diferent things, except eating.
I remember when I was about 19, 3 months after i came to UK I was feeling very similar as I felt when i got diagnosed. I would get up from bed in the morning feeling like my legs were two pieces of wood, i would get that stinging feeling in legs a lot during the night. I became slow, just like having high blood sugar now.I didn't know what it was but I ignored it and after a month or two it dissapeared. I was well again for next couple of years.
I never ate well. My dinner usually would be a pizza or crisps or sandwich. I would make something for myself sometimes but not often. I smoked a lot. I smoked since i was 13. And so at the age of 21 i decided give up smoking and healthy eating followed after.
I would make lunch every day after work. And it would include vegetables, meat or fish, fruits. But then i started eating more sweets. I could have a whole chocolate, i loved white chocolate, 'green and black's' one. I would have one a day. I started eating much more than usuall and felt great.I was still feeling good, just sometimes like having a hypo. I didn't manage to give up smoking, but still tried. And after 6 months i started feeling really bad. I would drink 3 littres of juice every day for 2 weeks till i could no longer see it in my eyes, then i drank milk, sometimes i would feel urge to drink milk, then i started drink lemonades, even alcohol ones (i never liked drinks with alcohol in it), then i drink tea. I made two cups of tea every time and as soon i finished one i would make one more(to give it a time to cool). Then i decided drink good old water. But by then i could not manage to go up the 10 step staircase without stopping. I went to doctor and after two long complicated months i was diagnosed with type 1.
Nobody in my family has diabetes. I am the first one.
I was 52 kg before i was diagnosed and now, after a year i am 62 kg. That's how much my Mom weighed when she was 40. I never cared about food as much as I do now, it's like I got obsessed with it. I am thinking about my next meal when i am having one. And now i can eat anything, when I think before i became diabetic I would be very picky about what I eat. I like EVERYTHING now. It makes me scared.
Not long ago I was talking with a coleague, who said she has always in her fridge 3 things: eggs, milk and sausages. She loves it and so she eat it every time she's hungry. She said she never bought bread in her life and i thought 'when i was child-teenager i hated bread, why do i like it now?' I keep so many things in my fridge i never imagined I would ever eat.The way my colleague eat was my own way of eating when I was healthy, when my appettite was healthy, a long ago before i was diagnosed and even started to feel first signs I had no clue they were signs of illness.
It's true the first time you go on diet you will never be able to stop and go back. I went on a healthy diet, which brought me illness.
What i think now is: it does not matter you eat healthy or unhealthy, a lot or a little all you need to do is to keep it up and stay with it. Big changes in diet brings big shock to your body. But i thought many different things before and probably after a month i will come up with a different diagnosis, just like all of us, everything keeps changing except this one thing that will stay with us for our lifes. Enough to think about it, it's too late anyway.
Goodnite

Ausra

Fallenstar,
Thanks! It was interesting question so I decided to do my best answering it. Hope it helped :) ..it did for me..

Snodger

Fallenstar said:
Hi Snodger :D
Yes interesting, it makes you wonder if as children we had high blood sugars for a number of years to have of experienced the lows as we did.....I remember those lows as a kid used to make chocolate and sweets even more delicious than they really were, real heightened sensitivity to the taste of chocolate when I had the "shakes" :shock: :lol: Every cloud and all that, eh?!

or, maybe our pancreases were over-working themselves from an early age and that's why they gave up later?
I can't prove it of course but I'm pretty sure I didn't have high bgs as a kid - not until the last few months before diagnosis. If anything I was less thirsty etc than a 'normal' kid.
Another interesting thing - with hypos pre-diabetes, they were definitely 'the shakes', weren't they? but since being proper type one, I never experience hypos as giving me shakes. I have a load of other symptoms, but 'the shakes' were very much a pre-diagnosis thing. Is that the same for you?

- and labas, Ausra, are you originally from Lithuania by any chance? If I understand your post correctly you were diagnosed there, but now live here? It would be interesting to know any differences in the way Type 1 is managed there compared with here. Eg do you know of any patient education courses over there?

Ausra

Labas Snodger. I am surprised you to greet me in Lithuanian..I was diagnosed in UK and lived here all the time since the diagnosis. But yes, I am Lithuanian, are you? I wish i could know more about the treatment in Lithuania too, but i really don't know a thing...sorry:)
I find it strange too as i remember i never drink a lot as a child..i never finished my teas, never drink any water and hated soups. I felt the shakes after i was diagnosed, but it dissapeared with time, but not completelly, i still feel it sometimes..my nurse said it's normal.

Fallenstar

Do you know Snodger you might be onto something there! It certainly rings a bell about being less thirsty...I was a nightmare for NEVER drinking fluids and was very rarely thirsty as a kid.
The lows I had Pre diagnosis in my childhood were the shakes, sweats and intense hunger,to be honest they reminded me of my early Hypo's , different to now but a lot stronger...my early Hypo's were very strong when I went onto insulin. I only now get the shakes if they go below 1.5 but never with a mild one.....so maybe as you say we were kicking out loads of insulin :?:

Snodger

Fallenstar - very interesting indeed that we were both non-thirsty but hypoing as kids. I would love to know if that's just coincidence or if the two things genuinely go together. It's not something you'd ever go to the doc about (having a kid who didn't really drink much) so there won't be medical stats on it.

Ausra - ne, esu is Anglijos, bet turiu draugu Vilniuje. (sorry I don't have a Lithuanian keyboard so can't do the nosines!)

SandraR

Very interesting!

For many years before he was diagnosed at age 11, my son would wake up feeling 'hunger sick'. He felt weak and nauseous until he had eaten something. With hindsight, it was probably due to blood sugars rising above the normal range during the day and then falling to 'normal' overnight.

At the time, we vaguely realised it was a low blood sugar thing, but stupidly we never made any more associations with this characteristic and loss of tcontrol of blood sugars - ie. diabetes.

At 11, he was often feeling sick, was suffering from heartburn and said he never felt well. Far too slowly, I took him to our GP and got him referred to a gastroenterologist two months later and she made the diagnosis of Type 1.

Having been diagnosed, the whole picture made sense and we couldn't believe we had been so ignorant of the early signs. However, our doctors insisted that the diabetes would have developed in a short time and at the point of diagnosis would have been about to become critical. I still maintain that it was a slowly, slowly development, over probably 3 or 4 years.

Snodger

Fallenstar - very interesting indeed that we were both non-thirsty but hypoing as kids. I would love to know if that's just coincidence or if the two things genuinely go together. It's not something you'd ever go to the doc about (having a kid who didn't really drink much) so there won't be medical stats on it.

Sandra - was your son an 'unthirsty' kind of kid pre-diagnosis?

Ausra - ne, esu is Anglijos, bet turiu draugu Vilniuje. (sorry I don't have a Lithuanian keyboard so can't do the nosines!)

SandraR

Snodger. Yes, thirst wasn't a feature for a long time - certainly not for all those years of what we called 'hunger sickness' in the mornings. We even started sending him to school with a mid-morning snack because he got 'hunger sick' then too.

Although thirst did start to manifest just before diagnosis - in a sporadic sort of way.

sugar2

Interesting thread!
I was diagnosed at 4...and the thirst is one of my earliest memories...can't remember much at all before that...but my Mum did comment that I didn't seem to drink much before I was diagnosed, curious!

Fallenstar

Sandra R, I agree with you on the thinking that it had a much more insidious beginning , I know we all got very poorly at the time of diagnosis but I have always felt there were a number of precursors for a lot of years before eventually needing to go onto insulin and eventually had the official diagnosis of Type 1.
Snodger
I think your theory of the "overactive" pancreas kicking out too much insulin sounds more likely to me now than having insulin resistance of some sort as children ,then when we got the low feeling/Hypo's it was more to do with extra insulin rather than being high and feeling the difference when we dropped low or normal.

Again Sandra, I recognise the "hunger sickness" your son had, I had forgot all about this but prior to insulin treatment and especially as a child I had that too! It is funny how you forget.

I know there are several theories as to why we develop Type 1 , viruses ect but I have always bought into the theory of leaky gut...I do think that some of us Type 1's trigger our over active Auto immune responses due to low grade allergies to Wheat and some of us possibly Casien and over the years this causes the Auto immune response.

Just recently I have been on the DAFNE and out of eight Type 1 diabetics 4 of us either had or were being tested for Coeliac disease and half had Hashimoto's,s, and we all had had bad stomach problems from a very young age....makes you wonder sometimes :lol:

but all just my tin pot theories but it is interesting to hear other people's experiences and there are a lot of pre diagnosis symptoms for a number of years also, we have in common...obviously all anecdotal but very interesting all the same :wink: