Type1's can you remember???

Herbie72

I used to get a lot of kidney pains before being diagnosed, but nothing was ever found. Perhaps that was an early indicator. But I can't really remember much about life pre-diabetes. I had a nasty virus a few months before diagnosis, and docs reckoned that was what triggered the auto-immune response. Still get very bloated today, always wondered whether that has anything to do with the diabetes...

Ausra

I am thinking now if there is a child who drinks a lot of water at all..unless he has some problems :)
We get water from food. The more healthy we eat the more water we get from food.

Fallenstar

Hi Ausra
You may be right, water is not a childs most favorite drink and I have to harass my two to drink it a lot instead of juices...but if I compare my self to them and others as a child and a teen I was NEVER thirsty and as much as I hate to admit it now in my teens I went a couple of days at a time without a drink of any sort of fluid...it was just never on my agenda if that makes sense.
You are right we do get a lot of our fluid from food and it was a good job for me back then, but at times I hardly ever ate in my early teens , I was just too busy for food when I look back, again not good. So if I do compare myself to my kids and others I knew I drank a lot less and just never felt the need for it....That is until D day!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T2 here. I hardly drank anything as a child and ate a very ****** 1970's diet, drove my mother insane! Even now I drink because I like the taste of something, not because I'm thirsty.

wiflib

Ausra

Fallenstar,
I have no children so I can't compare.
Me too, I drank really less then anyone else in my teens. I would also go for few days without any fluids, but then probably I recovered the lost fluids in some way. But because I remember not drinking for longer maybe drinking after those days just didn't stay in my mind. I would not have survived otherwise. I remember having a really big drive for watermellons and grapes. Maybe this was my water. But maybe it was not as much as it should have been. Maybe you guys are right, maybe diabetes and not drinking somehow goes together.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
i was diagnosed in 1970 aged 8. I cannot remember having hypo experiances, but I remember feeling hungry alot at school. I didnt like school dinners so didnt eat during the school day.
Before I was diagnosed i had a flu and stomach virus and I can remember feeling shaky!!!!!!! just realized, perhaps it was a hypo afterall, and I felt cold and wanted to sit by the radiator before my mum came to collect me.
My undiagnosed diabetes symptoms occured over 2 weeks and I was extremely thirsty and didnt have any energy at all.

mrtips65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I am a new member but this was an interesting subject so thought I would reply, I was diagnosed at 11 and have been type 1 diabetic for 35 years now, my first memories of becoming diabetic were at school I would have terrible stomach pains and then a craving for a drink and food especially sweet things which did not help, I would be sat in class and I would be forever leaving class to go and drink as much water as I could get and then spend my time sat on the toilet, I lost so much weight in a short period and then started vomiting even the water i drank would not stay down, lucky for me my father was diabetic type 1 and he did some blood sugar testing which was extremely high and so he took me to the doctor who was also diabetic, the doctor sent me away stating that I had swollen glands with some antibiotics which did nothing :( and within a week I was in a serious diabetic coma which resulted in me being in hospital for a long period of time. When I was first diagnosed we had to use Glass syringes and steralise them ourselves and weigh all our food etc... oh how times have progressed and changed from the 1970's

Fallenstar

Hi MrTips

I can't believe your Dr sent you away, when your Dad was Type 1 and he himself was...What was he on that day :shock: He must have been in "that" drawer :wink: Just before you turned up!

Interesting to hear you had the stomach thing too. And very interesting about the Glass Syringes . My nurse was on about how they had to boil urine to get BG tests in the old days....nice.
How thankful our we that things have moved on and keep doing so.
Welcome to the forum :D

bonerp

I remember feeling sooo thirsty and excessively tired to the point where I actually fell asleep walking and hit the deck. Mum toook me to docs who told us to go straight to hospital and was on a drip for a week. Aged 7, then having to use what I can only describe as test tubes that were syringes and needles the size of my finger - literally! Everything had to be boiled and the needles sharpened on a stone....well not quite but almost!

My first test machine was the size of an old tape player - the kind you connected to your sinclair spectrum!

Those were the days... :roll:

You kids nowadays dont know how easy it is lol :wink:

Revontuli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a very bad accident last year, cut my leg deep to the bone, and it all started then...

First, due to depression and trauma, I started losing chunks of hair.

Out of a sudden, I had vaginal infection.

Then I got strange spots on my back...

Then I moved to Finland in December 2010. I was around 65 kgs.

After a month, I started losing weight without any effort and in 5 months I was 45.

I was having some kind of problem/illness out of a sudden, all the time. Although I had treatment in Turkey, my vaginal infection repeated and repeated. I had nail infection.

I didnt' feel tired, though. On the contrary, I never got exhausted even if I walked or danced all day.

I was thirsty despite of drinking almost 3 litres of water. I felt like eating all the time, especially sweets. I never got enough of it even if I ate 3 packs of chocolate. And these 2 symptoms reached their ultimate point in May, when my bloodsugar was probably around 40.

After so many problems, I was feeling paranoid and seriously thinking about suicide.

skanktipple

i can remember when i was diagnosed in the 70's having to use stainless steel needles over and over for up to a week 2 times a day sterilizing them along with the stainless steel syringe,the needles eventually turning my legs black and blue through the bluntness i also remeber having to use the urine testing kit which consisted of portable chemistry set! my school mates would watch as i collected the urine then set about adding the urine and tablet to the test tube hoping it turned blue and not orange! i remember having a strict carb diet of 180grams per day as a child i will never forget that figure for the rest of my life!!... thankfully times and treatments have changed