Exercise with Pump

Hodgy

In advance of my pump being fitted next week can you advise me on the following....
I play football on a regular basis, which i have been advised to disconnect the pump for. I know that it can be disconnected for the hour I play, but by the time i'm home and showered it is probably 1 1/2hrs later. Is it ok for the pump to be disconnected for that long?
Can anyone share with me how they control\handle this situation.

onlytwintip

Hi,
Why do you want to take it off? I would not disconnect the pump but set a temporary basal rate to prevent going low.

Cheers

Hodgy

Thanks for the reply.
I have been advised to take the pump off due to the contact nature of the sport (to prevent damage).

Cheryl

I've recently returned from a watersports holiday where I was disconnecting two or three times a day for at least an hour. My consultant advised to test before the sport, if over 12 have a small (for me 0.5 to 1.0) bolus before starting. If lowish, then have a small amount of extra carb. Wait until an hour after the end of the session, then test & if high, have a small bolus.

Remember, football is both anaerobic & aerobic & your levels may rise with anaerobic exercise, though they'll fall with aerobic exercise. It's confusing & complex!

Also remember that the disconnection will not result in an immediate rise as insulin being infused between 14:00 & 15:00 for example, will be working its hardest (for most people) from 15:00/15:30 to 16:30/17:00 so the effect of being disconnected isn't seen until a couple of hours later. Add the effect of hormones released during exercise into the mix & it's a nightmare!

From personal experience, I say be pragmatic. I find that the nurses are cautious & tend to work to tight rules, but when I discuss the same issues with the doctor they're always more inclined to help you fit the treatment round your life & not vice versa.

In essence, being unplugged for a couple of hours once a week won't harm you as long as you have the discipline to test 2 or 3 times in the hours following exercise & calculate adjustments, considering insulin on board potential, post-exercise glycogen replacement, etc etc.

I've been there & still struggle somewhat, but time, effort & sore fingertips will make it work.

Two websites of interest:
www.diabetesnet.com & www.Runsweet.com both have useful info on exercise, the former is a US site so you may need to convert from US measures, the latter has useful info, but is badly laid out & difficult to navigate.

Good luck.

Hodgy

Thanks for your reply Cheryl, some good tips there which I shall bear in mind next week once the pump is on. The websites are very informative as well which I shall trawl through over the next week. Thanks