Period/hormones - HELP

briony1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone (ladies I’m assuming for this one) - I’ve recently had my contraceptive coil removed which has meant my monthly cycle returning. I’m finding the whole week before my period my sugars are out of control, so much higher than usual and insulin resistance is at an all time high. I can’t deal with this every month - is it normal for this to happen and if so, how the hell are you supposed to deal with it or are there ways of improving? Thanks!! X

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What meter do you use @briony1 ? Is it possible for you to track trends on it, eg you go high at a certain time of the day, or go hypo at other times? It will help you figure out what your body needs at various times while on the run up to your period. Or you could do it the old fashioned way and write it down :)

From experience (not with the coil but the implant) the first couple of months are hard while your body gets re-adjusted to its normal patterns again. It will settle soon, but in the meantime don't worry if everything seems to be a little off, it's perfectly normal. Even though it feels like a S***storm going on inside you!

I'd suggest speaking to your consultant about it, as he/she should be able to suggest something for you. I'd say increasing your basal by 1 unit during the week preceding and tracking your trends again should help, but double check with your consultant before making any changes :)

Reactions: briony1

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi hormones affect your insulin needs. I'd go hypo on my week pill free. Was it the marena coil you had? That have low dose hormones in it Which your body is adjusting to loosing. Hopefully it will have settled down. A bit by now

geekypants

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Briony!

I find this SO MUCH every single month, and, unless you have a standard 28 day cycle, it is so hard to stay on top of. I usually have a day of trying to control crazy sugars before I cotton on. Resistance seems to be worst in the morning for me.

The pump helps me a LOT. I've only had it for a few months, so I don't quite have the confidence for two settings for both phases of the cycle, but I'm nearly there. A 150% basal rate for about a week before my period seems to help.

I don't have any solid answers, but I view it as absolutely normal. Good luck with trying to find some answers! x