DESMOND

Shelt60

Hello there I have just been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in last two weeks, I don't know much about diabetes until my nurse told me about DESMOND which is run by the NHS I went with my wife for the day at our local fire station and it's well worth going to I never knew what goes into the food we eat each day, they don't try and put you off the food but it's mainly about the sugars and carbohydrates it's well worth asking your doctor or nurse to refer you.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to one in December. It didn’t really tell me anything I didn’t already know, but when I was diagnosed, I joined the diabetes forums and Googled info on diabetes, so had found out quite a bit beforehand. However, it was good to be able to ask questions face to face at the meeting and to chat to other people who had not long been diagnosed. :)

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wasn't offered a DESMOND course by my GP. In fact I've had next to zero professional advice about my T2 beyond cut out sugar and reduce bread intake. No mention of carbs in general at all!! I found out about DESMOND from here and requested a referral from my GP. Two months down the line and I'm still waiting...

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As someone from Australia I was not offered any support or advice. I received the normal advice from the doctor about making sure I ate 'healthy carbs'. There is usually an assumption that anyone who is overweight eats a lot and it is all unhealthy food- not always the case.

Anyway this forum is what has saved me. The advice and help I received and continue to receive is awesome. In a way the lack of any other support lead me to finding and staying on this forum. My HbA1C at 3 months was about half way in the normal range and there it stays. When I was feeling very low people on here gave support. I really appreciate everyone here

If you are offered a course I don't see any reason not to go but I would test the advice against what people here say and also against what your meter says It really is all about carbs- for me the 'healthy' carb is the one I don't eat.

Tombo1206

Being newly diagnosed T2 I was “invited” to attend a DESMOND session. I accepted and attended two half days rather than one whole day. I found the sessions very informative and explained in understandable language things I hadn’t previously known, or understood. Suffice to say I am now better informed about managing my diabetes alongside a condition for which the prescribed medication appears to have caused the diabetes.
Additionally, this forum and its contributors also play a large part in how I am managing my diabetes. So, many thanks to everyone. Your knowledge, experience and support is a great help.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Being newly diagnosed T2 I was “invited” to attend a DESMOND session. I accepted and attended two half days rather than one whole day. I found the sessions very informative and explained in understandable language things I hadn’t previously known, or understood. Suffice to say I am now better informed about managing my diabetes alongside a condition for which the prescribed medication appears to have caused the diabetes.
Additionally, this forum and its contributors also play a large part in how I am managing my diabetes. So, many thanks to everyone. Your knowledge, experience and support is a great help.

Medication that caused diabetes?

What was it? Steriods?

TardisDee

I am booked to go on a Derik course in April (I guess this is Kent version of Desmond). Will be interesting to see how up to date advice is after the 2003 diet sheet I received from my nurse. Have followed low carb for 3 months now lost nearly 2 stone and daily readings are steady and although nor there yet, are regularly in the 6s now so know I am on right track but am curious as to what the official advice is.