Freestyle Libre Pain

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I'm currently trialing the Freestyle Libre and soon after it was inserted it started to hurt. Whenever I moved my arm, it would ache, and sometimes I get a shooting pain in my arm. It's been over 24 hours since insertion and it still hurts and aches now and again. I have very thin arms and I'm wondering if this is the problem, I'm wondering if it had hit a muscle or something? The readings are absolutely perfect though, so I don't know. Any ideas?

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @SamElliott1997 , I often get the same, from soon after applying the sensor until a day or two after - it's not agony or anything, but it's sort of a sporadic uncomfortable prickly feeling. If I'm using my arms in an unfamiliar action (for instance at the gym) or if, say, my upper arms are stiff from exercising and I then go for a swim, I can sometimes feel my sensor.

I notch it up to 'one of those things' and just try to ignore it. If a sensor ever caused me discomfort that was unbearable, I'd remove it, but so far so good on that score.

My arms are slim and muscular, so it might be that that 9mm sensor probe goes in deep enough to spike a muscle, I don't know.....!

:)

Reactions: SamElliott1997

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm hoping, like you said, that it will just go away soon, but it's still here and it can get quite painful at times... Enough to make me swear out loud I feel like I've just got very unlucky or something

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm hoping, like you said, that it will just go away soon, but it's still here and it can get quite painful at times... Enough to make me swear out loud I feel like I've just got very unlucky or something
Sounds like you've been unlucky - grit your teeth and see how it feels tomorrow. If it's awful, or getting worse, give Abbott a call (not that I think they can do anything as such, but if it's so bad that you feel it might be an issue with the - I don't know, hardware of that particular sensor - rather than an unavoidable misfortune of placing it, say, near a blood vessel of whatever - you know, like getting an occasional bruised lump when injecting insulin or inserting a pump cannula - perhaps they might be open to sending you a new one). If you're going to call them, DO leave the sensor attached and working.

When I had a problem with a weird sensor (not pain, just a load of WT*? readings) they asked me to leave it on for another 24 hours to see if it settled, which it did. But when I had one which failed, they replaced it. In nearly 2 years of continuous use I've just had two issues, to put that into context.

It is perhaps the case that you just hit something in your arm with the sensor probe. Ouch!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Sounds like you've been unlucky - grit your teeth and see how it feels tomorrow. If it's awful, or getting worse, give Abbott a call (not that I think they can do anything as such, but if it's so bad that you feel it might be an issue with the - I don't know, hardware of that particular sensor - rather than an unavoidable misfortune of placing it, say, near a blood vessel of whatever - you know, like getting an occasional bruised lump when injecting insulin or inserting a pump cannula - perhaps they might be open to sending you a new one). If you're going to call them, DO leave the sensor attached and working.

When I had a problem with a weird sensor (not pain, just a load of WT*? readings) they asked me to leave it on for another 24 hours to see if it settled, which it did. But when I had one which failed, they replaced it. In nearly 2 years of continuous use I've just had two issues, to put that into context.

It is perhaps the case that you just hit something in your arm with the sensor probe. Ouch!

In my experience, Abbott are very good about replacing sensors if you have an issue with them, so I'd definitely recommend calling them if the pain doesn't go away. Don't throw the old sensor away, as they'll give you a freepost envelope to return it. Good luck.

Reactions: Snapsy

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I'm currently trialing the Freestyle Libre and soon after it was inserted it started to hurt. Whenever I moved my arm, it would ache, and sometimes I get a shooting pain in my arm. It's been over 24 hours since insertion and it still hurts and aches now and again. I have very thin arms and I'm wondering if this is the problem, I'm wondering if it had hit a muscle or something? The readings are absolutely perfect though, so I don't know. Any ideas?

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have exactly the same experience as you. Strange pains feels like it's in my bones at times. I change sensor to different arm every two weeks and same happens with that arm. The sensor has a battery in it I am wondering if this is some sort of side effect? However , It's great not having to do blood tests 5 times a day unless driving of course. The graphs and data are very useful wouldn't be without it now.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have found immediate relief with self-hypnosis for exactly this problem. The body is unsure whether to interpret something as a pain signal so you can help convince the body not to.

Try to deeply relax yourself (a la meditation) and then bring your awareness to the arm, focus on calmness, convince yourself nothing important is going on, settle things down. Alternatively you can visualise an "anaesthetic glove" on your other hand and bring it over the sensor area and visualise it cooling you down and making the pain disappear.

EddieA12

Hi Sam. I’m just reading your thread and wondering if you got to the bottom of the problem. I’ve been using the sensors now for a few months and after every one I attach I get some pain (either muscle type aches, or shooting pains). The pain does go after a day or two, but not nice!
I’ve put it down to muscular arms with very little fat one them, but no expert I have spoken to has told me that will cause me an issue!

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sam. I’m just reading your thread and wondering if you got to the bottom of the problem. I’ve been using the sensors now for a few months and after every one I attach I get some pain (either muscle type aches, or shooting pains). The pain does go after a day or two, but not nice!
I’ve put it down to muscular arms with very little fat one them, but no expert I have spoken to has told me that will cause me an issue!

Have you tried putting it on your abdomen where you have more fat?

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The instructions for the Dexcom are for it to go on the abdomen and everyone* wears it on their upper arm as they find it more accurate. It's our body after all—and different things work for different people.

* Ok not literally everyone.

Two days ago I met someone who wears the Libre on their inner upper arm near the crook of their elbow.

PhoebeW1996

Hi Sam, I recently got a FreeStyle Libre and its caused my arms to ache so much and shooting pains, which is really bad sometimes.
I removed the freestyle over a week ago however hands keep cramping up, bones feel achy. I am 23 but quite small and skinny, I notice the freestyle libre is not approved for patients under 18, I know there will be many reasons for this but I am wondering if the size of your arm does make a difference?

Has Abbott said anything about this!?

EddieA12

Hi Sam, I recently got a FreeStyle Libre and its caused my arms to ache so much and shooting pains, which is really bad sometimes.
I removed the freestyle over a week ago however hands keep cramping up, bones feel achy. I am 23 but quite small and skinny, I notice the freestyle libre is not approved for patients under 18, I know there will be many reasons for this but I am wondering if the size of your arm does make a difference?

Has Abbott said anything about this!?
Hi.
Although I have not been able find an official answer on this, I am confident that you are right. Personally I have very little fat on my arms and I can feel the needle that jabs in my arm hit the muscle. mince I had to take a sensor off my arm after a few days, due to sharp shooting pains whenever my muscle tensed. When I did removed it I noticed that the prong that goes in my arm was straight, which would have meant it got inbedded in the muscle (all other prongs have curved round to a 90 degree angle.
if you’re still getting pains, and no longer using the sensors, I’m sure the pain will pass before long. If your arms are really thin and you think the needle may have hit bone, then it could take a few days longer, but your body will repair.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi I’ve been on the Libre for over a year , I put mine on my belly , I know it’s not recommended but hey it’s my body and it works fine I have checked against numerous finger pricks. It doesn’t fall off and it doesn’t give any pain.