Feelings in eardrum

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

Very randomly but almost every day, I feel pulsations in my right eardrum. They last for few minutes. It feels as if something is pushing the eardrum from inside. The pulsations do not seem to follow blood pulsations.

Any idea what this could be?

I cannot go to the doctor with this situation and I would like some hints.

Thanks!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I cannot go to the doctor with this situation and I would like some hints.

Unfortunately there are plenty of things this could be, from glue ear to something more serious. Is this a feeling or an auditory sensation? eg There's a thing called pulsating tinnitus where you hear a sound in time with your heart....

You could go to Dr Google (which is normally a really bad idea) I suppose. A lot of doctors are doing phone consults, so you should consider that if it continues or gets worse.

And of course, most of us here aren't doctors (including me) so we can't make internet diagnoses.

Good luck

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi
I suffer from pulsating tinnitus in my right ear , I notice it more when I am lying in bed , in fact I can’t lie on my rigHt side too much as the “ pulse keeps me awake, best to call your GP and see if they can refer you to the ENT dept, As a side note my mum has suffered from tinnitus for years so wondering if it’s hereditary.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had something similar a few weeks ago.

It turned out to be hardened ear wax. I used sodium bicarbonate drops for 10 days to soften the wax , and then used a rubber ear syringe bulb to flush out the wax.

The pulsing in my ears was then gone, and my hearing improved too.

Reactions: EllieM

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had something similar a few weeks ago.

It turned out to be hardened ear wax. I used sodium bicarbonate drops for 10 days to soften the wax , and then used a rubber ear syringe bulb to flush out the wax.

The pulsing in my ears was then gone, and my hearing improved too.

Oooooh. That sounds very much like a "Don't try this at home" activity.

Eardrums can be quite delicate.

Pleased it worked for you, but a bit risky, I'd have thought.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oooooh. That sounds very much like a "Don't try this at home" activity.

Eardrums can be quite delicate.

Pleased it worked for you, but a bit risky, I'd have thought.
I used a proper piece of kit designed specifically for home use. It's soft, low pressure and does not go in far enough to touch your ear drum. As long as you use drops to soften the wax. It comes out quite easily. But I agree that you need to be careful anywhere near your eardrums.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used a proper piece of kit designed specifically for home use. It's soft, low pressure and does not go in far enough to touch your ear drum. As long as you use drops to soften the wax. It comes out quite easily. But I agree that you need to be careful anywhere near your eardrums.

As someone who lives with someone who has hearing loss, due to and historic injury (not eardrum related), I see first hand how the loss of hearing impacts, day to day, so I'm always just a bit cautious.