Type 2 Help

Leemalcolm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 diabetic with high cholesterol 7.5
Spoke to some people who have advised low carb diet but i dont think i could manage that for the rest of my life
Need advice

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Your choices are:

Diet
Diet plus meds
Meds
Insulin plus diet
Insulin.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Spoke to some people who have advised low carb diet but i dont think i could manage that for the rest of my life
Need advice

What makes you think that? Carbs are an addiction. After 2-3 weeks doing LCHF you won’t miss them. Worth a go as it can transform your life.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lee if you are unsure about low carb I would suggest you read the success stories on this forum it may change your mind. Most of us feel so much better and kicked Diabetes to the sideline also. It doesnt take long to adapt and you will get lots of support and good advice on your way from the kind folk on here. Best wishes.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Need advice
Hello Leemalcolm, welcome to the forum.

I think low carb is the most effective way of managing blood sugars. There are a few forum members and staff who will post soon to give you some very helpful advice but in the meantime you could read up on the home page. There's also a great website that others here showed me the way to: https://www.dietdoctor.com/

It seems daunting to think of a lifelong diet change, and it took me several years after diagnosis to come around to it. I do lapse at times and I still have to be careful I don't go back into long term denial.

Low carbing isn't so bad though - ease into it, find the low carb things you really like, and let those lead your appetite away from carbs.

I've started Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) with intermittent fasting. I'm finding it very easy to do, and I'm really enjoying my food. I have just had my bloods done, and my cholesterol is right in the middle of normal from being slightly elevated before - I've been using dairy and animal fats freely, to my doctor's surprise.

I keep myself motivated by using a blood glucose monitor (and a ketone monitor but for the blood testing ones the strips are very very expensive so don't bother with that until you are sure you want to do it). Seeing your blood glucose numbers going into the normal range when successfully low carbing is very motivating.

Very best of luck to you, keep posting and asking questions - being a member of this forum is extremely helpful.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I would have said the same, last October. Now, I feel so much better and only eat once a day through the week, weekends are easy rules. Gone 48 a couple of times without eating. Once you truly discover the way your bodies relationship with food works you will be surprised.

All the carby stuff is gone for me, im worried about my carb intake if I inadvertently eat some carrot doing a salad for the family (all normal). Once your mind makes the leap that carbs are just filler. You put something tasty ON carbs. Think about it, you would not have chips without salt and vinegar. Curry with rice and naan.

Just leave out the carbs, curry without the rice and naan, Chinese chop suey with egg foo yung, minimal carbs there. It really is easy, just read the back of the packets and go with a figure your happy with, kick off at say 150 carbs a day. That will get you thinking then go as low as you feel you can/want to.

Avoid the diet stuff and a lot of the advertised low carb too, just read the labels and make sure you start eating more saturated fat, the stuff in butter and bacon not margarine, that's nasty:borg:. You need that to compensate or you will be hungry.

Reactions: Mathilda Grace

Leemalcolm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would have said the same, last October. Now, I feel so much better and only eat once a day through the week, weekends are easy rules. Gone 48 a couple of times without eating. Once you truly discover the way your bodies relationship with food works you will be surprised.

All the carby stuff is gone for me, im worried about my carb intake if I inadvertently eat some carrot doing a salad for the family (all normal). Once your mind makes the leap that carbs are just filler. You put something tasty ON carbs. Think about it, you would not have chips without salt and vinegar. Curry with rice and naan.

Just leave out the carbs, curry without the rice and naan, Chinese chop suey with egg foo yung, minimal carbs there. It really is easy, just read the back of the packets and go with a figure your happy with, kick off at say 150 carbs a day. That will get you thinking then go as low as you feel you can/want to.

Avoid the diet stuff and a lot of the advertised low carb too, just read the labels and make sure you start eating more saturated fat, the stuff in butter and bacon not margarine, that's nasty:borg:. You need that to compensate or you will be hungry.
Thanks.

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carbing isn’t too bad. I have foods such as salmon fillets, steak, chicken, beef burgers, ham, vegetarian sausages, bacon, eggs, cheese, salad leaves, a small portion of tomatoes, feta cheese, broccoli, kale etc. As a dessert, I have a small portion of chopped apple and chopped pear, sugar free jelly and double cream. I mainly don’t have potatoes, rice, pasta, bread or cakes and don’t really miss them to be honest. I do have ketchup and brown sauce, but only a small amount and luckily, they don’t make my blood sugars spike. There are lots of recipes on the Internet, for Keto and low carb meals. For breakfast, I have a smallish homemade almond flour and cheese scone. I freeze them and defrost one when I get up of a morning. If I’m feeling particularly hungry in the morning, I’ll have scrambled egg and bacon for breakfast. It can take a bit of getting used to, but at the end of the day, I don’t want to develop any “complications” in the future, so know that the above is my basic diet from now on in, although appreciate that now and again, but only very occasionally, I will be a bit naughty and have something a bit higher in carbs, but counteract it with exercise and continuing with low carb eating.

Leemalcolm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carbing isn’t too bad. I have foods such as salmon fillets, steak, chicken, beef burgers, ham, vegetarian sausages, bacon, eggs, cheese, salad leaves, a small portion of tomatoes, feta cheese, broccoli, kale etc. As a dessert, I have a small portion of chopped apple and chopped pear, sugar free jelly and double cream. I mainly don’t have potatoes, rice, pasta, bread or cakes and don’t really miss them to be honest. I do have ketchup and brown sauce, but only a small amount and luckily, they don’t make my blood sugars spike. There are lots of recipes on the Internet, for Keto and low carb meals. For breakfast, I have a smallish homemade almond flour and cheese scone. I freeze them and defrost one when I get up of a morning. If I’m feeling particularly hungry in the morning, I’ll have scrambled egg and bacon for breakfast. It can take a bit of getting used to, but at the end of the day, I don’t want to develop any “complications” in the future, so know that the above is my basic diet from now on in, although appreciate that now and again, but only very occasionally, I will be a bit naughty and have something a bit higher in carbs, but counteract it with exercise and continuing with low carb eating.
Thank you hopefully will learn this way