Type 2 and Hay fever

pauldm21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks,

anyone notice any connection between hay fever and rising sugar levels. I'm normally reasonably well controlled (fasting always somewhere between 5-8 and after meals normally around 7-11 give or take). The last 3-4 days my hay fever has been horrendous and it my blood sugar has been through the roof (fasting readings or 17+ and after meals 20-24+). Can't remember the last time I had readings anywhere near these. I hadn't eaten anything outwith my normal diet. Today has been a bit better but still 10 fasting an higher after breakfast and lunch. I went for a run this afternoon without eating anything beforehand and managed to get it down to 7.4, but to be honest I was feeling a bit flakey - equivalent to how I normally feel when it drops to 3 or 4.

Its going in the right direction but I'm a bit concerned by at least 3 20+ readings within 48hrs. I'm taking a couple of anti histamine tablets each day (along with my usual 2 Janumet/Velmetia per day).

Anyone encounter similar issues or have any thoughts/advice?

thanks

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must admit i haven't - i have been hit badly this year as its been so warm and still.

However every one reacts differently - my thing is just lots and lots of snot. (yay).

every one tends to be different with ow their bodys react to illness - you haven't changed to a new pack of test strips or anything have you - i did have scare when i suddenly started getting really high readings randomly scrambling for the reason and it turned out my strips were naff.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi folks,

anyone notice any connection between hay fever and rising sugar levels. I'm normally reasonably well controlled (fasting always somewhere between 5-8 and after meals normally around 7-11 give or take). The last 3-4 days my hay fever has been horrendous and it my blood sugar has been through the roof (fasting readings or 17+ and after meals 20-24+). Can't remember the last time I had readings anywhere near these. I hadn't eaten anything outwith my normal diet. Today has been a bit better but still 10 fasting an higher after breakfast and lunch. I went for a run this afternoon without eating anything beforehand and managed to get it down to 7.4, but to be honest I was feeling a bit flakey - equivalent to how I normally feel when it drops to 3 or 4.

Its going in the right direction but I'm a bit concerned by at least 3 20+ readings within 48hrs. I'm taking a couple of anti histamine tablets each day (along with my usual 2 Janumet/Velmetia per day).

Anyone encounter similar issues or have any thoughts/advice?

thanks

Some antihistamines contain mild steroids and steroids are known to push up blood glucose levels.

Take a look at this site and check the PIL of the antihistamines that you are using.

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/features/diabetes-spring-allergies

Reactions: lazytech