Pre-diabetic exercise advice

sdsouza

Hello, I've been working out in the daily morning since lockdown (either a HIIT session lasting 40 minutes, 45 minutes bike ride or a 30 minute run daily). I do not eat before I exercise as it feels too early. However my blood sugars are high in the morning and I've only just realised that this has probably been having an impact on my levels even more.

I usually eat a protein shake after exercise followed by a bagel. Then don't eat until dinner time. Is that enough food to keep my sugars regulated?

When should I be eating if I do a daily exercise routine like the one above?

Any advice appreciated.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Might the issue be the food you are eating, rather than the amount or time you eat?
I don't know, because that's a pretty formidable workout for every day, and when I exercise like that, I find I can get away with quite a lot of carbs- still, if your protein shake is carby, then that on top of the bagel might be raising your bloods. It looks like a real sugar hit. If not that, then some people report vigorous exercise temporarily raises their levels- it might also be a possibility for you. Maybe do tests at more intervals to see when the rise is happening.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, I've been working out in the daily morning since lockdown (either a HIIT session lasting 40 minutes, 45 minutes bike ride or a 30 minute run daily). I do not eat before I exercise as it feels too early. However my blood sugars are high in the morning and I've only just realised that this has probably been having an impact on my levels even more.

I usually eat a protein shake after exercise followed by a bagel. Then don't eat until dinner time. Is that enough food to keep my sugars regulated?

Any advice appreciated.
H
Your aim should be to reduce the amount of insulin your body needs by food and exercise. You have some degree of insulin rsistance and this takes time to bring down but can be done by diet alone though exercise is a really good idea too.
1) HIIT nnd weights produce a cortisol response which spikes your blood sugars but both are great for actual fitness levels and will make your muscles more insulin sensitive.
2) Low intensity steady state cardio i.e. walk, cycle, swim, jog will take glucose ou of your muscles meaning that what you eat can get burned off rather than hanging round in the blood or being stored as fat.
3) Since you are doing enough exrecise you will need to eat differntly so that you are not putting glucose into your blood because your body cannot deal with it. The most insulinogenic foods are simple sugar and starch hence you could try swappng tbe bagel for eggs and bacon/salmon/avocado or try half the bagel to see if this is the 'sweet spot'. As you are resting your sugars you will know if this works by comparing blood sugars before and 2 hours after a meal to see if they are coming back into the normal range quickly.
\The advsantage of those foods is that they are highly nutritious. Alternatively you can skip breakfast and focus on lunch/dinner as the idea that breakfast is a key meail is just marketing by cereal companies

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Any advice appreciated.

Since it's early in the morning, that might be caused by what is called, "dawn phenomena."
It can last until around 8 am.
Try to have a maximum of only 20 grms of carbs a day, for a few days and see. Also, before bedtime have a little snack of protein.
Maybe, your liver has a lot of stored fats that has to be used up.