Eating after hypo

Shari68

Does anyone else feel really hungry after having a hypo?

I'm fairly new to having these after being rediagnosed from type 2 to LADA. I started on insulin beginning of March.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope cant say I do, I suffer terribly with hypo hangovers so spend the rest of the day feeling totally wiped out and want to sleep xx

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes I have done. I think it's more a feeling of having to eat more to feel better. It can take 45 minutes or more for me to feel normal again and I have to stop myself eating more quick acting carbs (having retested to make sure BG is rising). For me it's like a craving for sweets.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes I have done. I think it's more a feeling of having to eat more to feel better. It can take 45 minutes or more for me to feel normal again and I have to stop myself eating more quick acting carbs (having retested to make sure BG is rising). For me it's like a craving for sweets.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Does anyone else feel really hungry after having a hypo?

I certainly feel really hungry when having a hypo. I'm relatively insulin resistant so I have to be careful not to each too much when I'm hypo or I go sky high afterwards. My natural impulse is just to empty the fridge.:) For me, the best solution is to do my absolute best to avoid them in the first place, but that can be easier said than done, specially for a new T1.