JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Things we did without a moments thought are now a nerve racking peradventure fraught with danger and misgivings.

How will we ever get back to how things were but we will I'm sure.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Things we did without a moments thought are now a nerve racking peradventure fraught with danger and misgivings.

How will we ever get back to how things were but we will I'm sure.

Is that because of reality though or "project fear" propagated by the main stream media?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lovely people!

This is a topic for anyone going full on "Kim & Aggie" keeping COVID out of the home.

Any more deviation will likely mean a mod getting a Jiffy rag out with this topic.

Thanks for complying.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Our first day out of lockdown here in our part of France, the local council delivered face masks last Friday and we picked up 50 surgical masks today from the local supermarket and will go and visit family on Wednesday, we will still be careful and keep a distance from everybody but life is a lot easier here now , hope the UK deaths keep falling and soon you will all be free soon

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Is that because of reality though or "project fear" propagated by the main stream media?

I think 32,000 odd funerals are real enough for me though I think the followers of Thomas Robert Malthus may have been hoping for a lot more.

Reactions: Sarah82

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Once again. Calling time on this.

Members either have a contribution regarding stopping or reducing this virus crossing the threshold. Or find another thread.

Further off topic posts will have deletions & thread bans.

Tannith

BANNED
I.m quite envious of you right now I would love to go out and get lost in the wood for a few hours but so far have not stepped out of the house further than the front step for about seven weeks even then I have to be Alert to passers by especially the ones riding pushbikes pell-mell along the pavement.
Me too. I have a front garden that's about 6ft long, front door to gate, but the house projects at either end of it so I can't see round and tell if there are passers by approaching on the 18 inch wide narrow pavement outside the front gate. So I don't go further outside the front door than it takes to pick up whatever has just been delivered. I don't want people breathing over me.
This is such a vicious virus. I have just watched "hospital" on BBC2 covid edition. (Part 2 on tomorrow at 9pm.) Seeing the people dying in ICU and the despair of the tearful medical staff reinforces my determination not to let it through my front door. I tell a lie - I have been out twice to post birthday cards to my daughter and granddaughter in the postbox opposite my house. But waited til midnight when nobody would be jogging and panting on the pavement outside.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tannith - Do you supplement Vitamin D at the moment? If not, it could be worth considering, bearing in mind the reports you have made about staying firmly indoors.

I would usually say only supplement after a deficiency is shown, but such a high percentage of the UK population has low Vit D at the best of times, so staying indoors can't have helped much.

Tannith

BANNED
@Tannith - Do you supplement Vitamin D at the moment? If not, it could be worth considering, bearing in mind the reports you have made about staying firmly indoors.

I would usually say only supplement after a deficiency is shown, but such a high percentage of the UK population has low Vit D at the best of times, so staying indoors can't have helped much.
Thank you very much for the thought of reminding me, but yes, I do. Especially as I can't easily get to my back garden (badly broken stairs with no rail down to basement garden door), and the front garden is too close to the pavement to be safe. I don't want to risk falling on the stairs and breaking an ankle as that could result in a visit to a covid infected hospital.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I haven't done anything other then what I normally do in terms of hygienic practices. I keep myself as healthy as I can and have concluded that you can't hide from a virus.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I haven't done anything other then what I normally do in terms of hygienic practices. I keep myself as healthy as I can and have concluded that you can't hide from a virus.
No but you don't have to make yourself an easy target.

And I am reminded of Eyam village that when the plague arrived in their town decided by instituting a "cordon sanitaire" to isolate themselves from the surrounding area and prevented the the plague spreading to their neighboring villages and towns.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35064071

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
No but you don't have to make yourself an easy target.

And I am reminded of Eyam village that when the plague arrived in their town decided by instituting a "cordon sanitaire" to isolate themselves from the surrounding area and prevented the the plague spreading to their neighboring villages and towns.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35064071

I wouldn't say I was making myself an easy target, but I'm not exposing myself to unnecessary risks, just practicing what I have always done.

Unlike what is happening in the UK and other parts of Europe, we are just not experiencing a pandemic here in Australia at this point and the numbers have dropped way off and we have been running a flat line for the last 3 weeks.

I have heard about the practices in that linked article you posted. I'm pretty sure I watched something about that years ago, the quarantining of an entire village. Some show on the black death I had watched. It is an interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Unlike what is happening in the UK and other parts of Europe, we are just not experiencing a pandemic here in Australia at this point and the numbers have dropped way off and we have been running a flat line for the last 3 weeks.

And yet we have some of the most draconian laws imaginable in place. The wild variance in numbers by countries will be something for future historians to study.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Very late to this discussion but we have after 14 months finally moved! I came straight from old house to new house, no deviation, no going past go. Hand wipes in hand wiping door handles. The house had been cleaned by “professional “ cleaners we were told, which made me sanitize all handles light switches loos basins shower and taps. Strange that they all looked better after my efforts. the removal men were excellent didn’t come anywhere me I just pointed where they needed to go. We haven’t had any visitors, all supplies come to door and my beloved sorts them out.
I can see the sea from the front windows, I confess we have walked the 40 yards to the promenade a couple of times, not touching anything just to get our lungs full of fresh sea air. We are both sleeping better, eating better and Michael has popped out gloved up and collars up to get the newspaper to the shop which is 60 yards the other way.
He starts working from home again from Monday, providing Openreach get us a landline and internet by then. We are a priority case, both for me being vulnerable and him working for them but no joy yet!
Michael is doing all my care as Adult Social Care can’t reassess me yet but whilst Michael is working from home I’m ok and hoping that he will continue to work from home once this is all over as I think I will be much more wary of someone in my home.

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Wearing gloves, I sanitise deliveries and groceries with antiseptic wipes before putting them away.Has anyone any other ideas about how to keep the virus out of homes?
It does actually say there's no evedence on catching anything from letters and parcels...my husband brings boxes in every minute of the day where he works...I think it can get a little over whelming...x

Richie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People
Seems to me that there are a lot of paranoid people on here. Yes, take precautions by all means, but come on guys, some of these threads are taking it to the extreme.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems to me that there are a lot of paranoid people on here. Yes, take precautions by all means, but come on guys, some of these threads are taking it to the extreme.

Please do not assume that everyone is at the same level of risk from COVID-19 as you perceive yourself to be.