Byetta

GeorgieHaz

Hi,
I have been in glucose Intolerance for about 12 months but my recent HbA1c is 6.9 so my GP tells me I am now Diabetic, he is considering starting me on Byetta as I cannot tolerate Metformin and Glucobay and cannot take Sulpur drugs as I have lupus.
I have recently started on Azathioprine, an immuno suppressant which is making me very nauseated.
Is anybody taking Byetta? and are the side effects a problem? I am also Coeliac and tummy very dodgy with medication.
I have felt so unwell for months so worn out, tired, at times drowsy generally unwell. My blood sugars are regularly 12.0-14.0
I just want to feel better.

Morgaine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
bad manners house/rap
Hi GeorgieHaz,
I'm new here too and don't know very much about the medication side of it. I didn't want you to think you were alone though, and I am really sorry you are having a very hard time with your health. No wonder you feel unwell and of course you want to get better. From my own experience it has been a roller-coaster ride so far, trying to work out the best ways of lowering my blood glucose. I had awful side effects from Metformin, so my DNS changed me on to the slow release version, which seems to be suiting me better. It can feel really isolating especially in the middle of the night when there's no one else around. I think I can say that most people have probably felt fed up with the whole thing and hopefully have found the forum helpful. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone with all this. Take care x

Mervyn

Sorry to hear that you are poorly. Cannot help with byetta but hope that you feel better soon. It can feel lonely with diabetes even if you are surrounded by family. I have found this forum very supportive and helpful!
Take care

Mervyn

GeorgieHaz

Hi Both,
Thanks for that. I am lucky I have a brill hubby and a wonderful supportive Gp. I have 10 years of Lupus and all that goes with it. I seem to add a new condition yearly so building up quite a collection, recently added Metabolic Syndrome with a very fatty liver. I take so many drugs including Warfarin , steroids. bp, thyroxine, statin etc. They don't help the way you feel, side effects are always a problem with me.

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
I'm on Byetta. There are not many side effects that I've been aware of. Byetta calls for you to inject within an hour of eating, but I found that it made me feel very sick so my DN told me to inject just 20 minutes before my meal and it worked a treat. When you sit down to eat, eat very slowly or you will feel ill afterwards.

If you are put on Byetta, your DN will go through all the pros and cons with you prior to starting the medication :)

There is also a board all about Byetta. Very helpful reading. :)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12086

barleymo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a Byetta user - was a very nervous starter as I have renal problems, However have been on 5mg pen now for around 6 months, no longer any side effects apart from occasional "tummy" (being polite) problems which are not a real problem actually - just annoying sometimes. I take BS readings at home and they are always around 6 - always used to be around 11. Had some weight loss which has completely stopped now but weight not going on. Only problem I find is eating out, I never know how or when to have injection but as I don't eat out very often can cope with that as well. Certainly worth a try I think - at least it has been for me.