Relationships and diabetes

Prendy1

Having great difficulty with my wife trying to give me support and she not being able to cope with me having a hypo of which I’ve been having a few lately. We’ve been married 7 yrs, known for 12 but she’s never fully understood how and when I have hypos. I’ve been type 1 for 45 yrs and have always had difficulty controlling it. Back to my wife, we’ve split up again and I feel like not bothering to try and mend. What I’m asking is, do others have similar problems?

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry. I am a T2 and I don't have hypos; I am the opposite, when my husband stresses me out it makes my glucose high! He eats all the thongs I can't and even when he cooks something I could eat he just cooks for himself so we now shop, cook and eat separately. He gives me no support at all and never even asks how I have got on when I go for mt 6 monthly check. We lead separate lives really as he is only interested in what he wants to do.

Fortunately I have my pets so they keep me sane, don't know what I would do without them!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I'm another type 2. My husband is supportive and cooks for me very low carb. The difficulty is that he and my kids still eat low carb- I find that really difficult. I have the most wonderful husband alive but some days I think it would be easier in a house with no high carb food around.

It must be hard to cope with hypos I think the stress of worrying about your husband must be hard. I think it is hard enough for my wonderful supportive husband and he doesn't have to worry about hypos.

I hope you find a way to control your blood sugars so that you don't have as many hypos- I really sympathise as that must be really difficult.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My wife is asian, would absolutely die without carbs lol, so she cooks for herself and the kiddos, I just pick out some of the meat and green veggies. Or I’ll whip up something myself.

regardless , it’s nice to have family around. My vote is, try to make it work.

Reactions: VashtiB

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry you're having a tough time @Prendy1, I have problems controlling my diabetes and whilst my husband doesn't completely understand, he is very supportive and does everything he can to help me, I can't imagine how difficult it would be without the support of your spouse.
Perhaps your wife could have a look at this https://www.diabetes.co.uk/supporting-a-diabetic-partner.html, you won't be the first person with a spouse who doesn't understand, so there's probably loads of information around if you have a search online.
I hope you manage to get things sorted out.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having great difficulty with my wife trying to give me support and she not being able to cope with me having a hypo of which I’ve been having a few lately. We’ve been married 7 yrs, known for 12 but she’s never fully understood how and when I have hypos. I’ve been type 1 for 45 yrs and have always had difficulty controlling it. Back to my wife, we’ve split up again and I feel like not bothering to try and mend. What I’m asking is, do others have similar problems?

Hi @Prendy1

Welcome to,the forum.

Hypos can change mood for some people, which in turn can be disconcerting for those around them at the time.
Personally I just go a little vauge, look bored, & sometimes ramble a little esoteric? On the whole pretty passive.

What I do regarding my relationship. (Married 10 years out of 25.) say for instance there is a discussion that requires my full attention? (My wife knows she won't get a sensible contribution on a low.) detecting a hypo I test & let her view the number on the meter. (Time out till its fixed.) I have a CGM set up now reading BGs on my phone which helps too!

But I have been sorting my own lows since I was a kid. I prefer to keep my hypos my own buisiness?
I found it easier to open up, rather than look for uncaring excuses not to jump behind the wheel of a car to do my duty & take us to the shops or pick up that paintbrush or hedge cutter & help right now..

Best wishes on your decision.