Diabetes Rewind program

Sharonanne71

Hi guys, I’m new to these forums although I have been watching for a while now.

At the end of March I started the rewind program with my GP in the hope of reversing my T2.

The program consists of total food replacement shakes only allowing non starchy veg for the first 12 weeks, I have just started week 5, it’s been tough but I have managed to drop 2 of my medications and lost a stone and a half.

I wondered if anyone else is doing this program ?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you search on this forum for "Newcastle Diet" you will find threads from people who done it. The hard part is deciding what you will eat after the shakes and keeping to it long term.

Dark Horse

If you search on this forum for "Newcastle Diet" you will find threads from people who done it. The hard part is deciding what you will eat after the shakes and keeping to it long term.
The Rewind programme apparently lasts a year and addresses what to eat after the 12-week shake phase, starting with 12 weeks of gradual reintroduction of foods followed by 6 months of support through a maintenance phase. Interestingly, there is also a year-long low-carb programme aimed at people who are not eligible for the low-calorie programme as they've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for more than 12 years or have not been prescribed certain diabetes drugs. https://icshealth.co.uk/our-services/diabetes-rewind-programme/patient-information/

I think most of the people on these forums who have done the Newcastle diet have done it without the benefit of the online, face-to-face and telephone support offered on the Rewind programme.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Rewind programme apparently lasts a year and addresses what to eat after the 12-week shake phase, starting with 12 weeks of gradual reintroduction of foods followed by 6 months of support through a maintenance phase. Interestingly, there is also a year-long low-carb programme aimed at people who are not eligible for the low-calorie programme as they've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for more than 12 years or have not been prescribed certain diabetes drugs. https://icshealth.co.uk/our-services/diabetes-rewind-programme/patient-information/

I think most of the people on these forums who have done the Newcastle diet have done it without the benefit of the online, face-to-face and telephone support offered on the Rewind programme.

It is good to see a long term supported low carb option out there somewhere though. And a Newcastle style one with refeeding and long term support. It’s limited to a small geographical area not national though. Shame there is a medication requirement to join the wider low carb option. This rules out anyone hoping to do it with diet alone on diagnosis and anyone on just metformin. I know they are looking to cut costs vis medication reduction but preventing people from going onto the stronger stuff in the first place would be even better surely. Or do they wait for the traditional treatment options to get them there first!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharonanne71

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think they hope the GPs will give lifestyle advice as requird by NICE before starting people on the drugs.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think they hope the GPs will give lifestyle advice as requird by NICE before starting people on the drugs.
And therein lies the problem often.....lack of appropriate lifestyle advice before they start them on drugs

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is good to see a long term supported low carb option out there somewhere though. And a Newcastle style one with refeeding and long term support. It’s limited to a small geographical area not national though. Shame there is a medication requirement to join the wider low carb option. This rules out anyone hoping to do it with diet alone on diagnosis and anyone on just metformin. I know they are looking to cut costs vis medication reduction but preventing people from going onto the stronger stuff in the first place would be even better surely. Or do they wait for the traditional treatment options to get them there first!

The LCP is a longer terms supported option, if that is what the member wants. There are 17 weeks content in there now, plus a huge amount of things like mindfulness, yoga and other forms of exercise, well over 1000 recipes, plus behavioural change coaches and mentors, and input from doctors, a psychologist and a fully on-board Dietician.

At the moment as £21 for a full year membership, it's a total steal.

Reactions: HSSS

Sharonanne71

The program has been very good with group sessions, one to one calls and online modules to complete.
I feel very supported and even my GP has been great with weekly calls to see how I’m doing.
It is a year so a long process but to be honest I have been T2 for 10 years and just took the pills and didn’t look after myself, never really had any advice apart from lose weight.
I am now testing my blood and am so much more aware of how to help myself.

Reactions: ringi

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Testing your blood just before starting a meal and two hours later, aiming to keep the increase in BG below 2 will be a great way for you to find what foods your body can cope with when you start the food reintroduction state.

Reactions: Sharonanne71

cien

Hi guys, I’m new to these forums although I have been watching for a while now.

At the end of March I started the rewind program with my GP in the hope of reversing my T2.

The program consists of total food replacement shakes only allowing non starchy veg for the first 12 weeks, I have just started week 5, it’s been tough but I have managed to drop 2 of my medications and lost a stone and a half.

I wondered if anyone else is doing this program ?

All postings here refer to weight loss leading to drop in glucose reading. I don't have a weight problem but am diabetic . Last hba1c reading 12 (108) on 3rd November 2020. Am working very hard to reduce the next hb1ic to avoid going on insulin. I appear to be winning. Will have to wait and see. I have also purchased HB1cNow but too soon to try.
Anyone else in my situation especially regarding weight? Thank you

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi @cien
This is an old post about the rewind program which is a low calorie weight loss program. So I guess it kinda makes sense that they are discussing weight loss.
You are certainly not alone, there are lots of T2's who don't have a weight problem and not every overweight person has T2. For some loosing those extra pounds can get them into remission but it won't work for everyone.
In the original Newcastle diet study which the rewind program is based on, I think the success rate was around 50%. So half of them were disappointed, thinner but still T2.

cien

Hi @cien
This is an old post about the rewind program which is a low calorie weight loss program. So I guess it kinda makes sense that they are discussing weight loss.
You are certainly not alone, there are lots of T2's who don't have a weight problem and not every overweight person has T2. For some loosing those extra pounds can get them into remission but it won't work for everyone.
In the original Newcastle diet study which the rewind program is based on, I think the success rate was around 50%. So half of them were disappointed, thinner but still T2.
Bit disappointing just 50% success . Hope I can manage that 50% but even reducing my hba1c to an acceptable level will do me!