High glucose levels

LindaMHood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sugars have risen quite a bit. Best safe way to drop them. I have chronic pain and inflammation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just off to bed but the best way and certainly the first to try is changing your diet to low carb. See the below and come back and ask questions etc after

Intro to T2 and low carb. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
All the things I wish I’d been told earlier https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/

If you mean right now depends how high. Can you test ketones? Also depends what meds you are on . If really high (like in the 20’s) phone 111 and ask for advice. If high and unwell do likewise. If worried do likewise.

Otherwise Eat no carbs at all til it drops towards more normal numbers. (Just fats and maybe protein if necessary). Drink water. Go for a walk if possible or up and down stairs at a stable pace if able to safely ie burn some of it off with not too vigorous exercise.

Reactions: Lizzie2

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
Low carb...! All carbs turn to sugar in your body so the fewer you eat the better you will be. No bread, rice, pasta or potatoes, or anything made with them. It goes without saying that this includes breakfast cereals, fruit juice, smoothies, sugar, cakes, biscuits, chocolate, etc. Start doing this and you will quickly start to see results.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if you find low carb very difficult you might start by eating a breakfast totally without carbs , like cheese and ham ( no bread ) or eggs and bacon ( no bread ) and a tea or coffee-mug with cream..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try Turmeric each day and some exercise and plenty of fluids - good luck x
Can’t see these doing harm but alone they won’t do anything like as much for blood glucose levels as changing what you eat, and realistically even exercise can only do a limited amount as good as it might be for general health.

@Giverny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find drinking loads of water helps, also go for a walk, l realise you will be running to loo a lot so maybe exercising in house would be easier.
If possible get advice from gp if it's OK to up your medication temporarily
Good luck