Type 1 Does anyone else find that the sun makes them feel ill even after 5 minutes? Diabetes related?

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hello everyone. I hope everyone is doing well and had a good weekend of great sugars - I've found since lockdown my horrible diabetes control has improved drastically.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same experience with sun - specifically sun from May- August time and usually between the hours of 10am and 5pm. Autumn and winter sun doesn't seem to do this to me.

When I stand out in the sun, I start to feel incredibly weak and shaky after a few minutes. I get this tight feeling pain in my lower abdomen. I've just stood out in the garden talking to my neighbour for 20 minutes or so, and the regardless of how hot it is, if it is a warm day (17C+) without clouds and the sun is beaming down, I start feeling really ill. I get dizzy, tired, shaky and weak. I came indoors and my blood sugar is normal (13, and I recently ate so my insulin hasn't had a chance to work yet), I sat down and my head/eyes feel fuzzy and it almost feels like I am having a hypo in terms of shakes/weakness. It's not too bad today but last summer my work were forcing us to have meetings outside when it was 28 - 38C and I almost fainted a few times from having to stand on the spot for 10-20 minutes in temperatures like that. The hotter it is, the worse my symptoms are.

I don't know if this is diabetes related or not, but I've noticed it get progressively worse over the years. And I now hate summer because of it. I generally hate the sun anyway and stay indoors a lot because I'm one of those anti-aging 50SPF all year round freaks. I'm very pale and look very young for my age due to lack of sun. Make vampire jokes if you like. :) I get very happy and energized by darkness and rainy/cloudy days.

Just wondering if any other diabetics experience this? I don't tend to get rashes or anything like that. I just get weak, shaky and nauseous and my vision gets weird. I started taking a high dose of vitamin D every day since April to compensate for the lack of sun, as I am completely shielding in lockdown and only go outside to water my pumpkin patch.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd go to the doctor and see what they can suggest, I know I start to feel very lethargic when the temperatures are above 32ish - but then I grew up in Yorkshire, it was colder - I don't really like the heat, I don't like it when it feels like I've walked into an oven :), But I don't feel like I'm having a hypo.

I know I also tend to need less insulin when it's that hot but since you say you're not hypo then that's not your issue or you're dealing with that already.

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I'd go to the doctor and see what they can suggest, I know I start to feel very lethargic when the temperatures are above 32ish - but then I grew up in Yorkshire, it was colder - I don't really like the heat, I don't like it when it feels like I've walked into an oven :), But I don't feel like I'm having a hypo.

I know I also tend to need less insulin when it's that hot but since you say you're not hypo then that's not your issue or you're dealing with that already.

Thanks Rokaab, I might bring it up to my doctor. It seems to be sunlight that causes it rather than heat. I hate the heat, but it seems to be triggered by the sun at high peak times of the day. I am still dealing with cramps in my lower abdomen.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I'd also advise contacting your GP, lots are offering econsult or phone consultations for example so you don't necessarily have to do in.

I've never had those symptoms, but of course everyone is different. What usual levels do you have through the day on average? You mentioned peaking around 13 after a meal, so it could be that you're getting 'false hypo' symptoms of your bloods are jumping up thenow down quickly. It feels like a hypo but you're not below 4. It might be something your diabetes team can help with?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Does it make a difference if you wear a hat? My non-D very fair skinned daughter with pale blonde hair has always felt ill in the sun and wears a hat when she hasn't got any option but to go outside on sunny days. This started when she was about three and has slowly got worse over the years. She also gets dehydrated very quickly in summer which makes the headaches worse.