Latest HbA1c so much better than the last

Sal260

A random fasting blood test in early March this year at home of 19.6 horrified me and made an appointment to see the GP asap. A blood test ensued and resulted in a call from the hospital late that night to check I was ok and to advise returning to the GPs in the morning.
Admittedly the test had been taken within an hour of a jacket potato, pie and veg but my results had come back at a blood sugar of 30.4 and an HbA1C of 107.

It was all a massive shock. I had read around a lot in the wee small hours, sleep was out of the question and the thought of the likely medication with it’s common side effects, as an IBS sufferer, only made matters worse.

The doctor was lovely but confirmed the obvious that I was age onset type 2 and prescribed metformin SR 500g rising to 2 tablets after 2 weeks. We made an appointment to see the DN in 2 weeks time and that was it.

From that day I cut all added sugar from my diet. Cut down massively on potatoes, rice and pasta and swapped to wholegrain. I cut my carb intake down to around 120g a day.

The DN gave me a monitor and told me I could drop further to 90g if I wanted. She was also ok to let me keep to just the one tablet of metformin daily.

I looked into carb intake more closely and cut all pasta, rice and potatoes. I swapped bananas for berries on my porridge (thankfully do not spike with this). My daily carbs dropped to 90g per day. My blood sugars ranged from mid 5s to low 7s.

4 months on and I feel so much better

March 5 2020
HbA1c. 107
fasting BS. 19.7
weight. 97kg

July 5. 2020
HbA1c. 50
fasting BS. 6.5
Weight. 73kg

Not there yet but I am determined to get it lower by the time of my next test before Christmas

I am so glad to have found this forum it has been a gold mine of information and inspiration. Thank you to everyone