Really high reading hours after food ?

JamseyT1D

Hi was wondering if there’s any people out there that have the same problem as me?

I carb count and weigh out my food and use my ratios to calculate how much insulin I’ll take with a meal as you do lol
But I’ve noticed a few times especially during sleep I will have ate and had my insulin and say 2/3 hours later after eating when I test levels they will be fine but sometimes say 4/5 they seem to sky rocket to the higher teens and I won’t of ate any additional carbs anyone help with this ?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... 2/3 hours later after eating when I test levels they will be fine but sometimes say 4/5 they seem to sky rocket to the higher teens and I won’t of ate any additional carbs ...
Looks like you don't have enough basal insulin action. Verify by skipping a meal and testing hourly until the next mealtime. If blood glucose goes up, more basal insulin action is needed, at least at that time of day. Getting basal sorted makes bolusing much more predictable and easier.

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
maybe basal adjustment, or meals with high fat slow down the absorption of the carbs, leading to a rise after the initial spike.

Reactions: JamseyT1D

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi was wondering if there’s any people out there that have the same problem as me?

I carb count and weigh out my food and use my ratios to calculate how much insulin I’ll take with a meal as you do lol
But I’ve noticed a few times especially during sleep I will have ate and had my insulin and say 2/3 hours later after eating when I test levels they will be fine but sometimes say 4/5 they seem to sky rocket to the higher teens and I won’t of ate any additional carbs anyone help with this ?

Yes I get this a lot during sleep, especially if I've eaten something carby like rice or pasta for the evening meal. My blood sugars are OK when I go to bed but I wake up in double figures.

When I was using Libre, I could see that my glucose levels were starting to climb around 3am and would sometimes rise to 15mmol. But if I had a very low carb evening meal like an omelette, it wouldn't happen.

At the moment the problem seems to have abated as I am waking up with normal glucose levels although I haven't changed anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamseyT1D

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@JamseyT1D these few times where your BGs have gone high what food had you eaten? Was it a high fat food such as pizza or rice maybe?

JamseyT1D

@JamseyT1D have you noticed the overnight rise happens all the tie or only after certain meals?
As mentioned above, some people, especially those with high carbs and high fat, can take a long time to be digested and cause your blood sugars to rise after eating. The "test after 2 hours" advice given on this forum is a guide based on some sort of average time it takes for carbs to have an affect. For example, pizza and curry can affect my blood sugars for 6 hours whereas Dextrose reacts within 15 minutes.

When our blood sugars get high, we become insulin resistant. This means that as our blood sugars rise, the basal dose which works fine when we have a blood sugar of , say, 5, can not maintain a stable blood sugar at higher levels such as 15. Therefore, the impact of high blood sugars and insulin resistance can grow when we are asleep and not able to make any correction.

My advice would be to do a basal test as suggested and, if this doesn't happen every night, also keep a food diary to see if there is any pattern between what you eat and when the blood sugar rise occurs.

Thankyou for the advice I’ve been intouch with my nurse today and going in for a drop in tomorrow morning since there’s a recurring pattern on my Libra graph and as previously mentioned I’ve taken the majority of the necessary steps.
Said i may have to try a new fast acting insulin as my control has rapidly declined the last few weeks from good to bad.
Tbh the whole virus situation hasn’t really helped as my fitness regimes gone out the window hopefully all’s get sorted tomorrow.

JamseyT1D

@JamseyT1D these few times where your BGs have gone high what food had you eaten? Was it a high fat food such as pizza or rice maybe?

It’s all foods at the moment which is why I’m a little baffled I’ve got a consultation about it all tomorrow with my nurses ect so hopefully they can help me out with a bit of knowledge on what more I can do or what they can

Reactions: porl69

JamseyT1D

Yes I get this a lot during sleep, especially if I've eaten something carby like rice or pasta for the evening meal. My blood sugars are OK when I go to bed but I wake up in double figures.

When I was using Libre, I could see that my glucose levels were starting to climb around 3am and would sometimes rise to 15mmol. But if I had a very low carb evening meal like an omelette, it wouldn't happen.

At the moment the problem seems to have abated as I am waking up with normal glucose levels although I haven't changed anything.

Tbh I feel like it’s the whole major change in my lifestyle due to the virus which may have started this all off as my fitness regime/daily routine ect has changed dramatically but I’ve got an appointment tomorrow with my nurses about as there’s a recurring pattern appearing on my Libra getting high spikes after eating then insulin doesn’t seem to kick in till around 4/5 hours later and I’ve done all the necessary steps to try tackle this but I’m a little lost on what to do now lol so hopefully I get the help I need tomorrow after 18 years of having type 1 a problem was always gonna be inevitable lol

JamseyT1D

Looks like you don't have enough basal insulin action. Verify by skipping a meal and testing hourly until the next mealtime. If blood glucose goes up, more basal insulin action is needed, at least at that time of day. Getting basal sorted makes bolusing much more predictable and easier.
Cheers mate tried and tested I can have my basal and not eat for the entire day and I’ll comfortably sit at 5/6 all day I’ve got an appointment tomorrow with the nurses so hopefully I’ll get some answers tomorrow lol thankyou tho pal

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@JamseyT1D let us know what your team has to say on the matter. Good luck