Consistently high morning sugars

Lins4321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every morning my sugars are high, it doesn't matter what they are before bed, whether I eat early or late, low or high carbs, they are always 7-10 mmol, occasionally higher.

Can anyone tell me in layman's terms how to test my basal please? The doc went through it with me during my last appointment, and I did test it a couple of times am/pm, but I lost confidence with it somewhat and my sugars remained stable during the tests.

Fyi, I'm on 6 units levemir per day and 1:15g novo rapid. I've recently switched the levemir from once a day in the evening to two doses, 4U in the evening and 3U in the morning, but no difference with my morning sugars so far.

I was diagnosed 5 years ago and I've noticed my morning BG creeping up over the past year or so, they were always higher in the mornings, but not this high.

Any help would be great, thanks.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that my long acting insulin, Lantus, needs it's dose altering up or down regularly. Although I'll occasionally do a proper basal test, I find that I can adjust the dose using my morning reading. If the reading on waking is consistently higher than I want, I add an unit to my Lantus, monitor for a few days, and add another unit if it doesn't change.

I'd stress that the moves up or down are always a single unit and I always allow the few days to allow the changes to take effect.

I use the dexcom g6 continuous monitor which allows me to see a trend of my blood sugar through the night as a trend.

Hope this helps. It works for me.

Lins4321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jackois, sorry I didn't respond sooner. Thanks for your advice, I put it into practice straight away and upped my basal by 1U. No clear difference yet, but I'll slowly change it more over the next few weeks.

Thanks again for your help.