Preventative measures for retinopathy

TypeZero.

I have my first annual diabetic eye screening and was wondering if anyone uses any drops or anything else to prevent retinopathy?

I’m just trying to find out if there is anything I can get or do other than tight BG control so I can prevent retinopathy.

I was already born with a cataract which was removed from my left eye and I have very little vision in that eye (just blurry shapes) so I don’t want to lose the one eye that I have left.

The reason I’m asking this is because I usually find that with doctors you have to be pushy and demand for things or they won’t really get it for you despite it might help you tremendously

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being bitten by cats. And women.
I usually find that with doctors you have to be pushy and demand for things or they won’t really get it for you despite it might help you tremendously
i quite agree with that.

I have quite bad retinopathy, but the only drops I've had were for infections at the front of the eye, brought on after other treatments.

I'd say BG control is the most important factor. I look at every OCT scan and can see straight away when its not good enough. If they are not scanning you frequently, that's a good sign, I reckon.

They might decide you would benefit from injections, like Eylea and laser treatment. Eylea slows things down. The first few times its used the benefits can be dramatic, but perhaps not for everyone, and it might not last.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TypeZero. If it is your first scan wouldn't it be better to wait and see if you have a problem before trying to solve it. Note that background retinopathy is common and not serious if it doesn't progress, although it is a warning to improve your BG.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have my first annual diabetic eye screening and was wondering if anyone uses any drops or anything else to prevent retinopathy?

I’m just trying to find out if there is anything I can get or do other than tight BG control so I can prevent retinopathy.

I was already born with a cataract which was removed from my left eye and I have very little vision in that eye (just blurry shapes) so I don’t want to lose the one eye that I have left.

The reason I’m asking this is because I usually find that with doctors you have to be pushy and demand for things or they won’t really get it for you despite it might help you tremendously
Hi. If this your first visit and you're type 1 then I would not expect to see any changes to your eye vessels at your tender age so there is time to get things right blood sugar wise. I went through my teens and 20s and hit retinopathy in my 30s after a blood sugar roller coaster and years of erratic eating.
Age and bad control are the risky factors but I thought you might like to see this page on the role of vitamins because this is something you can do for yourself. I'd recommend eating the right foods rather than spending a fortune at Holland and Barrett as it is not known whether taking pills is as effective as eating a balance of foods.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/8-nutrients-for-eyes#section2

Reactions: meetoe

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

From a book about macular degeneration that I was reading the suggestions were avoid white death (processed carbs), avoid seed oils that have been extracted by solvents and further processing as these are high in omega 6 and oxidised fatty acids. Avoid processed foods, eat leafy greens high in vit K, cook everything in butter or lard as these are high in vit A and get lots of fish for omega 3's. Eat offal as well as it's high in D. Moderate exercise is also important. Basically you need to keep the micro vascular system behind the retina super healthy. Anything that clogs up these or causes inflammation is going to affect the retina.