Granddaughter type I

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my 3 year old granddaughter was diagnosed with type I diabetes in April of this year.

My daughter is doing well with insulin and at the moment doesnt have to count carbs due to little one being in 'honeymoon stage' so regular insulin doses when little one has carbs

My question is my daughter has started letting little one come to us for a few hours and have a small meal with the family ie lunch. The little one is always asking for more food even after she has eaten.

I test her bloods and they are fine so she's not going into a hypo.

My daughter has been told little one can eat as much cheese, chicken, carrots and strawberries as she wants but little one usually wants food out of my fruit bowl.

Any ideas please? Yes I can talk to my daughter but she has just moved house so her mind is elsewhere.

What would you give your type I if they were hungry? I cant see the little one is trying her luck because she is only 3.

Thankyou

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The advice given is sensible. I'd avoid offering sweet fruits such as oranges, bananas, pineapple, melon and raisins but offer berries with plain yogurt or slices of apple with some cheese or peanut butter to blunt the extra sugar contained in those fruits.

Perhaps you can avoid eating those sweeter fruits and juices or having them in sight whilst she is there as this will make it easier for both of you!

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Move the fruit bowl! My neice is the same age and loves the sweeter fruits.

Perhaps fill it up with mini cheeses, carrot and cucumber sticks instead.

Reactions: ringi

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ty both

I have been hiding the fruit bowl and leaving an apple on the side or offering her raw carrots. Luckily she likes both. I was just concened that I was giving her food that wasnt right.

Little darling due here again at 11, only apples in my fruit bowl as today is shopping day

ty again