Please help me understand: sugar isn't "poison" for T2D

M

Member496333

The main issue with sucrose is its fructose component that acts directly in the liver to increase insulin resistance. So yes it’s very, very, very bad for anyone with type 2 diabetes, and anyone who says otherwise is mistaken.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You selected the part of the definition you liked.
I don't think so. I was merely using it as a shorthand. From the definitions: a poison causes illness or death (so I concluded poisons are "harmful", which still seems reasonable).

Also, every definition includes the possibility of a poison being non-fatal. Also, it can be helpful to research the accepted meaning of terms before entering into a discussion, simply to avoid false assumptions....

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We do not know what David Unwin means when he says "poison" I believe we can with a high degree of certainty presume that it is poison as it is commonly accepted to be lethal. Similarly with Prof Kar's response I believe in this context he is also talking about the commonly accepted definition of poison as lethal.
The actual quote from David Unwin was:

'If you have type 2 diabetes, sugar becomes a sort of metabolic poison,'​

which seems to imply "harmful" as the primary meaning.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends.
For some of us, its a slow acting poison which will eventually kill us. In the meantime, it will harm us gradually and irreversibly until we die, costing us our eyes, legs etc.

So not harmless, not instant death, but still ultimately fatal to us, and causing disability leading to premature death.

In other circumstances, eg hypo treatment, its a life saver at times.

its not either/or. It depends on the circumstances.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The premise that "So, essentially something that causes harm." is making assumptions that both men agree on this to be the definition, which is highly unlikely when "poison" is used in conversation.
One was a lecture and the other a newspaper interview - not merely in conversation.

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
*monkey face covering his eyes*

Last edited:

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hadn't quoted David Unwin in this thread.
It looks like apparently you made a false assumption, judging from your reaction.
Look at your OP.
From that infamous Mail on Sunday article about David Unwin and bananas, we have the quote
I assumed you were not quoting the banana's.

Seriously what is going on?
Stop now.
:bag:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok.
This debate has been going round in circles for pages.

1 would like to draw everyone’s attention to Forum Rule A 6. This is a Forum of many different personalities – if you disagree with someone then start a constructive debate or use the Private Message (PM) system to have a conversation. It is unhelpful to have to read miles of disagreeing posts, and can deflect from the purpose of the thread (i.e. thread derailing).

If no one is willing to do anything other than bicker about minutiae, this thread will be locked by the moderation team.