Help please

lynnmcdon

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone point me in the right direction please. My father is 86 years old has been Type 2 for many years now and is on insulin. I'm looking for a simple chart telling me what his blood sugar levels should be. He hasn't been well recently and I want to try and help keep a check on his levels. Thank you for any advise.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone point me in the right direction please. My father is 86 years old has been Type 2 for many years now and is on insulin. I'm looking for a simple chart telling me what his blood sugar levels should be. He hasn't been well recently and I want to try and help keep a check on his levels. Thank you for any advise.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Let's start from the top. Does your father have a blood glucose meter? (You'll be surprised how some get overlooked.)

lynnmcdon

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Let's start from the top. Does your father have a blood glucose meter? (You'll be surprised how some get overlooked.)
Yes he does have a blood glucose meter.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My apologies, I neglected to ask what insulin/s & (if) other diabetes medications are prescribed?

Ideally blood testing would be on waking, prior to meals & 2hours after. Then before bed..
Also more regular testing should be done monitoring during times of illness.. Which can raise BGs??

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The general rule is to try to keep BS at 8.5mmol max 2 hours after a meal. Many of us don't achieve that but always best to stay out of the teens much of the time. Does your father have a sensibly low-carb diet. If he can keep the carbs down he may need less insulin and his BS should be more stable.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there Lynn - I'm hoping this link could give you some useful information, including the blood glucose ranges: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

There are many things that can impact blood glucose levels, including being under the weather. If you have concerns about your Dad and his diabetes, it could be worthwhile having a chat with a health care professional. Of course, you can ask lots of questions on here and folks will help where they can, although nobody here can give you medical advice or make a diagnosis.

Your Dad is fortunate to have such a caring and concerned daughter.