How often do you do it?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i inject 5 a day and change my needle every time :)

Herbie72

Fallenstar said:
Hi all

How often do you change the needle on your pen?

Do you change it every time you do an injection?

I used to be really bad for making a needle last forever :oops: I have never had an infection, thank goodness , and I do change them now on my Bolus more often but not every time, kind of when it starts to feel a bit blunt! :lol: So every couple of days...is this bad????? Runs for cover!

Have any of you had an abscess or infection at your injection sites? Can this happen with not enough needle changing?
How often were you told to change your needles?

I hardly ever changed needles when I was on a pen, was very bad. Only did so when it hurt. Thankfully, the pump doesn't have that problem. I'm even worse with blood-test lancets, need to sort that out really :oops:

yipster29

naughty like you and re-use needles half a dozen times until they feel bit blunt!!

Touch wood never had a problem. I could say having read this I'll make more effort but I know I won't :oops:

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One reason why I don't change needles and lancets every time, is because I sometimes spend days or weeks out in the field - several days when competing in or marshalling on mountain marathons and adventure races (UK, Ireland, Portugal, Poland, Belgium) or nordic ski touring (Norway) or mountain trekking (Atlas Mtns); several weeks when carrying out expedition fieldwork (Costa Rica, Chile, Falklands, South Georgia). Needles and lancets aren't too heavy or bulky, but when you're cutting all weight and bulk down to the minimum and have no opportunity to dispose of waste until back in civilisation, it all counts. I am careful to maintain good hygiene levels and in 15 years so far have never had a skin infection caused by needles or lancets (or anything else, forthat matter)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter doesn't inject anymore but when she did we always used a new needle for each injection.

mrawfell

The NHS/NICE are one of the tightest organisation that exist in the UK. However reusing needles or anything that penetrates the skin is something not acceptable. Is it really worth the risk ?

AMBrennan

I sometimes spend days or weeks out in the field
I'm not quite sure I follow - a box of 100 pen needles weighs 150g and should last for a month. A single MRE weighs 500g, and you'll need 2 of them per day, plus possibly water.
[Also, 50 antiseptic wipes weight 180g...]

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't take expensive, bulky and heavy MREs into the field - dehydrated food / oatcakes / small tins / tubes of pate / cheese etc. I add water from streams to dehydrated noodles, soup etc. I didn't say that I carried a month's food at one time, but have carried a week's worth.

I change needles and lancets EVERY time. I would do the same even if I had to pay, was stranded on a desert island, etc-there really is no excuse. Think about it, would you use the same fork to eat every day without cleaning it? Why take the risk with needles then?

First post by the way, I've been reading the forum for a while though. Happy to be here!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi sugarfreeséan and welcome to the forum :)