Vastly different pupil size after eye exam?

RSzmidt

Hi All,

Just got back from my eye exam. They gave me the drops (which they don't normally do because I have strangely large pupils!) probably because they didn't do the usual pre-check. However, I've come home feeling quite sick and blurry visioned. And strangely only one eye is actually dilated and the other is normal. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just because he didn't get the drops into the one eye or something? Or should I be worried!

I will be shutting the phone of course and lying in a dark room but I thought I would ask to out my mind at rest! Hopefully!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The main things the drops do is dilate your eyes, one eye probably got either more drops, more potent drops or just reacted differently to the other one, it normally takes a good while to get back to normal for me (anywhere between 2 and 4 hours) so that I can see properly again.

I've never felt sick after eye drops, but maybe its just your brain is confused cos one eye is dilated and blurry and the other isn't, I don't know. Might be a bit like when people try on my glasses - they get all goggle-eyed cos one of my eyes is long-sighted and the other is short-sighted so the lenses are completely different to each other

Reactions: RSzmidt

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Just got back from my eye exam. They gave me the drops (which they don't normally do because I have strangely large pupils!) probably because they didn't do the usual pre-check. However, I've come home feeling quite sick and blurry visioned. And strangely only one eye is actually dilated and the other is normal. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just because he didn't get the drops into the one eye or something? Or should I be worried!

I will be shutting the phone of course and lying in a dark room but I thought I would ask to out my mind at rest! Hopefully!

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

There is the possibility a bigger drop went into one eye & the lesser amount is wearing off quicker & reacting to the daylight?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just bang on some shades, and look like a rock star, I'd agree with @Rokaab though, you either got more in one eye than the other or one just reacted "better" to the drops, I can still be dilated the next day after my test, distance is fine, but I can't read print for toffee, and I already have varifocal glasses

RSzmidt

Thanks all for confirming my thoughts :) Always good to have a second opinion. I think it must have just been one eye avoided the drops! And yes, definitely my poor head has been confused by both eyes having completely different amounts of focus / light levels.

Will do my best to look like a rock star

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with everything others have said, I did a few years ago before I had diabetes have the drops in just one eye as the optician was concerned about a mark on the back of my eye, turned out to be an old chicken pox scar, but I did feel quite sickly and disoriented and actually struggled to walk in a straight line so it’s probably the difference in your pupils that are making you feel a bit off :)

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just got back from my eye exam. They gave me the drops (which they don't normally do because I have strangely large pupils!) probably because they didn't do the usual pre-check.
If it was your yearly retinal screening (and you're in the UK) I was told they now have to administer the drops, whether you need them or not. I'm not sure if that would vary according to where you live, but I had to have them this time but the previous 5 years or so I was told I didn't need them.
Hope you're feeling better soon

RSzmidt

Thanks everyone for your replies. As a newbie, it's such a nice, friendly forum. Just been browsing around this evening and sad I hadn't joined sooner!

mr_cat

I often note people comment that they get blurry vision and even dizziness with the drops , my own experience ohter that the initial flinch and discomfort is of bright super saturated colours and almost glowing withe objects depth of field suffers and edges can glow or fuzz but I really enjoy it. unless of course its sunny and forgot my sunglasses:)