Blood sugar is fine at 1 and half hours, but suddenly spikes at 2 hours.

TheGreatGateway

One of the reasons my GP has diagnosed me recently with type 2 diabetes is because of my weird blood sugar. At the 1-1.5 hour mark after eating, my sugar is perfectly normal, between 6-7.5 mmol. Then suddenly at 2-3 hours, it rockets up again at least 10 mmol. There's no pattern in the foods that do this, it even happens when I only drink a glass of milk or apple juice, and once happened from a single bread roll. Until my GP has an answer for me, they gave me the preliminary diagnosis of T2, but I was hoping someone here might know wht my sugars start low, then jump suddenly? Honestly it scares me.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
One of the reasons my GP has diagnosed me recently with type 2 diabetes is because of my weird blood sugar. At the 1-1.5 hour mark after eating, my sugar is perfectly normal, between 6-7.5 mmol. Then suddenly at 2-3 hours, it rockets up again at least 10 mmol. There's no pattern in the foods that do this, it even happens when I only drink a glass of milk or apple juice, and once happened from a single bread roll. Until my GP has an answer for me, they gave me the preliminary diagnosis of T2, but I was hoping someone here might know wht my sugars start low, then jump suddenly? Honestly it scares me.

Do you check to see what your bg is before eating a meal? This is useful info to determine how much you see in a rise post meal.

I wouldn't say up to 7.5 is perfectly normal and it just seems to keep rising based on the time line of your glucose results and hints at what you are eating as being the reason. Juice and milk contain quite a bit of sugar and bread is also a high carb food that spikes bg in most people with metabolic issues. That is the pattern, all those foods you mentioned are high carb and if you are T2, then these are simply going to keep spiking levels and over time those will get higher due to insulin resistance.

Here's a pretty good guide for T2 who wish to control their T2 through diet only. This works for a good number of T2's and is imo solid advice for those wanting to control their levels and reduce insulin resistance with a goal of remission or pretty close to it. Achieving good stable levels should be a first target. However, it requires some sacrifice with diet... those foods choices of yours are just not going to be part of the picture if you want to get things under control, but check out the link. It's well worth reading.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Tophat1900 a glass of milk, a glass of juice or a bread roll would all send my blood sugars shooting up. Understanding your levels immediately before eating would help to see what is going on.

Although standard advice is to test immediately before and again after 2 hours, depending on what you eat, this may not tell the whole story. I’m often higher after 2 hours than after 1, for example. However, I’ve got to know my own patterns so can now judge what impact a particular food has.

In addition to the link that Tophat shared, dietdoctor.com is my go-to for food and recipe ideas. It has lots of excellent, clear information, most of which can be accessed for free.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
That can be your metabolism.

So people find there spike quicker, my blood sugar tends to rise after an hour depending on my activity level that day.

Maybe look at librefree sensor that may help see your spikes easier.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
By your account, after high carbs, your blood glucose levels are relative after two hours, as you go into the third hour it rises steadily.
My take on this is that because of insulin resistance and the necessary insulin required for the glucose derived from said carbs, is to much with the glucose load.
So what is happening is your insulin response is not enough for high carbs.

You have already been given some great advice, the one I think will help you is taking regular readings before and two hours after only, to see your levels over time recorded in a food diary.
Once you have discovered which carbs cause the spike, you can reduce the portion size and eat low GI, and ultimately low carb, this will reduce spikes and also take care of the second spike after two hours.

Keep safe