Lantus and night hypos.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With a good basal you really shouldn’t have to snack before bed.

bmtest

I split my lantus dose in half and inject it twice this way you get a good 8 hours sleep. Remember it an artificial system we live within its not perfect but it keeps us alive.

dwmclau

Hello, I am coming to my absolute ends wits at the moment, I am a woman that has had type one for about 11-12 years, I was moved onto lantus and humalog from the novomix 30 5 years ago. So I was able to get my humalog changed to novorapid this year finally due to hypers after eating food from insulin not working fast enough, this has been resolved now. Every single night, the second my lantus kicks in, I am immediately in a hypo that will not go away and this has included severe hypos, I have been dropping the units down and it appears I am still having this problem, I have tried numerous remedies for removing these hypos in the night/sleep slow release carbohydrates, fast release carbohydrates, a mixture of both. The hospital is useless and hates my guts, blames me and won't help me at all, says its my fault. The DN at my GP surgery told the hospital I need my lantus swapped for something else and the hospital refused. I am now taking 8 units so far down from 12units and will be dropping again to 7 units. I feel worried dropping it so much because I am aware it's my background insulin that stays with me throughout the daytime. Has anybody experienced repeated hypos from Lantus, especially at night? And what did you do/recommended? Thank you. Sorry for the long post, I am so fed up because it's left me unable to commit to a job therefore I m currently unemployed due to be unable to adhere to punctuality from passing out sometimes and needing help and I feel like a sack of **** haha.
I have suddenly started having exactly the same problem. Was told to split the Lantas with less at night and more in the morning. It hasn't worked and now I have very blood sugars in the morning as well as hypos at night! Consultant said I might need a pump or different long insulin but the issue persists and sometimes I get little sleep so I called the diabetic nurse and was advised to take different amounts of Novorapid with daytime and evening meals! There has to be a better way.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hello, I am coming to my absolute ends wits at the moment, I am a woman that has had type one for about 11-12 years, I was moved onto lantus and humalog from the novomix 30 5 years ago. So I was able to get my humalog changed to novorapid this year finally due to hypers after eating food from insulin not working fast enough, this has been resolved now. Every single night, the second my lantus kicks in, I am immediately in a hypo that will not go away and this has included severe hypos, I have been dropping the units down and it appears I am still having this problem, I have tried numerous remedies for removing these hypos in the night/sleep slow release carbohydrates, fast release carbohydrates, a mixture of both. The hospital is useless and hates my guts, blames me and won't help me at all, says its my fault. The DN at my GP surgery told the hospital I need my lantus swapped for something else and the hospital refused. I am now taking 8 units so far down from 12units and will be dropping again to 7 units. I feel worried dropping it so much because I am aware it's my background insulin that stays with me throughout the daytime. Has anybody experienced repeated hypos from Lantus, especially at night? And what did you do/recommended? Thank you. Sorry for the long post, I am so fed up because it's left me unable to commit to a job therefore I m currently unemployed due to be unable to adhere to punctuality from passing out sometimes and needing help and I feel like a sack of **** haha.

I wonder if splitting the injection schedule to two per day rather than once a day would help? Maybe a question for the pharmacist; I have thought of doing it myself on Humulus N but I don't want to overwhelm my husband with more nursing tasks, as he monitors my injection nightly post supper.